Suitable Tank Mates

moteyi

New Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, my first post having been a lurker for a while. I've kept tropical fish for a few years having lived in Cameroon and Togo where it was great to not only be able to keep fish but catch them too. For a while in Cameroon I had some lake barombi cichlids - only finding out later that they are all protected species :blush:

I'm now back in the UK and have a 100 litre tropical setup which I bought second hand with some fish in it. At present there are: 1 Bristlenose Catfish, 1 Cuckoo Synodontis, 1 Firemouth Cichlid, 2 Angels, 3 Neon Tetras, and a couple of small Kribs - the parents are now in a separate tank and breeding happily. If I understand correctly my tank will support around 18 5cm long fish or 90cm total - at present I have around half that.

My question is, what else can I add to the tank without creating too many problems.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
 
I am surprised you do not have any problems at the moment. The firemouth isn't a very good community fish, and the angels can eat the neons when the angels get larger. The tank is a bit overstocked too. But you could have a nice community tank, with the angels being the centerpiece fish.
 
your tank being 100 litres on basic filtering a going by the rough 1 inch per gallon rule will support 22-25 inches of fish
this is adult fish size
The neons should really be in a different tank as they will get gobbled by the angels when they grow they should also be kept in a larger group , 6 is recommended minimum for neons

Firemouths are recommended for species only tanks or to be house with cichlids of the same size due to their aggressive behaviour
the angel is also an agressive cichlid

you might get on ok but i wouldn't be adding much more to the tank if i were you

firemouth - 6"
2 Angels - 12-16"
BN plecs - 5"
Cuckoo Synodontis - 6"
2 kribs - 8"

approx 40" of fish excluding the neons - so just with those fish you are pushing your limits on the tank both in stocking (depending on the filtration and maintenance of the tank )and compatibility issues
 
Thanks for the replies. with regards to size of fish currently in the tank the lengths quoted by pippoodle seem rather optimistic. I've had the tank setup for over 6 months and all the fish came with it except the FM. None have grown in this time so I assume that they won't unless I add steroids to their diet. All the fish have happily coexisted over this time - the only problem being the pair of Kribs - since removed - nipped the tail of one of the angle fish and it still looks a bit sorry for itself. As I said, the fish that I have measure in the region of 20 - 25 inches giving me room for at least a few more specimens. I could, for a start, add a few more tetras to make the numbers up as suggested by pippoodle but would still like to know if I can add either a different species or more of one that I already have.

Cheers,

Steve
 

Most reactions

Back
Top