Sudden death of platy!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Usually when you use add chemicals in to change one thing, it starts a chain reaction because it alters your waters chemistry. You'll end up spending alot on random powders, liquids etc. You may be better off to look into fish that thrive in the water you have and making life simpler and easier for yourself. I know how annoying it is when you can't keep the fish you'd ideally like because of something out of your control, but there are some really beautiful species out there. Just have to do some googling!
I agree and better not googling. Google is an online petstore retailer :lol:
What you said, is what I said :)

My current tank is 23 litres with 3 female platys and 4 neon tetras...i also have 14 fry in a smaller seperate tank, i have just purchased a 58 litre tank and my plan was to move all the adult fish in to the new tank and add the fry once they are big enough...i will only be adding females to this tank and keeping the males in a seperate tank...at the moment i appear to have more male than female fry.
I have read online that fry born in to softer water seem to cope better as this is what they are born in too...not sure if this is the case but i have one platy born from my first batch of fry in April 2018 and she seems to have done well, im hoping this will be the same for my new batch of fry.
I will definitely look in to keeping soft water fish in the future...the reason we had platys was because my little boys wanted fish & this is what the pet store recommended...

I'd suggest you giving away the neons as they need a bigger tank and a school of 6 or more otherwise they will get stressed out. Give all the fish away, the tank is too small for both kinds of fish you have and get a betta.

Not for neons and you have too soft water for platies. I'd recommend you giving away the neons and platies and get a betta. He will have the whole 58L tank to himself and will be very happy.

Not for neons and you have too soft water for platies. I'd recommend you giving away the neons and platies and get a betta. He will have the whole 58L tank to himself and will be very happy.
Plus ,with all of that space, you could majorly plant it out and it would look amazing. Your betta would massively appreciate it too

Thanks for all the advice...i feel bad that i have been keeping the tetras in such a small tank...once again misadvised by the fish store...i already have a betta fish in a 23 litre tank so i could move him to the 58 litre one...thanks again!

Thanks for all the advice...i feel bad that i have been keeping the tetras in such a small tank...once again misadvised by the fish store...i already have a betta fish in a 23 litre tank so i could move him to the 58 litre one...thanks again!
You have a betta splendens in a tank with other fish? Never trust stores, they rarely know what they are saying. Give away the platies and neons back to the store and put the betta in the 58L tank.

What size is the 58l tank. If it is 60cm long (2') or very close it is fine for the neons or platies, although I would not keep both. Since you have soft water the neons would be the best choice if the tank is long enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back