Substrate

home breeders

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey


We are thinking of changing our substrate to sand and was wondering which ould be the best to use?
Would be for a tropical set up and how much would be required for a 72 by 18 inch base the tank is about 32" deep.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ps i would appreciate it being white as it would be a good contrast with the lava rock.

many thanks crystal and ryan.
 
I don't know about white sand but i think it can be expensive.

Argos playsand is excellent and only costs £2.87 per 15kg just give it a wash and in it goes.
 
I don't know about white sand but i think it can be expensive.

Argos playsand is excellent and only costs £2.87 per 15kg just give it a wash and in it goes.


thanks for that :rolleyes: whats the best way to rinse it out ?
 
Play sand is white, and about 3 USD for 50 lb bags. Since you are using inches, I assume you are in the US? I get my play sand from Home Depot.

I put my sand in the wc bucket, shove the garden hose into the bottom and let it run until the overflow runs clean, then dump it in. There are some recent threads about how to switch out gravel, maybe 2 or 3 pages back.

Sakura
 
Ya ive also used the argos playsand and haven't had any problems. Use it for me fish tanks and lizards too.
real cheap which is the best bit lol
 
my sand is made by *carib sea* 26 quid a bag tho , and its almost white , have a look....

DSC01469.jpg
 
I should go with the argos sand as far as price is concerned but that carib sea looks fantastic.

and iirc did you mention before that it doesnt need rinsing ? at all ?

if so sounds perfect.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top