Substrate

-nod- Yeah, I know about that sand. But I was just thinking if it's ok to use playsand/builders sand when it's well washed - why not other coloured sands? I know someone once said put "Aquarium" in front of sand, gravel and prices rocket.
 
How big is your tank.

The Tahitian moon sand is cheaper. The B&Q stuff is £5.98 for 1.8kg. The moon sand works out at roughly £2.79 for 1.8kg. ( I think i've got my sums right, I hope so or I'm going to look like a right idiot lol).
 
Ooh, I never even clicked on the size difference. Tank is L101cm x W40cm so needs a decent amount. Planted as well, so needs to be deep enough for them!
 
Instead of black sand, you can get a very fine black gravel in alot of LFS, it looks just as good and is suitable for all fish, including bottom dwellers are its almost as fine as sand. Cheaper too.
 
Instead of black sand, you can get a very fine black gravel in alot of LFS, it looks just as good and is suitable for all fish, including bottom dwellers are its almost as fine as sand. Cheaper too.

Thats what I use, with a couple of fine white gravel droped inside there to add more of a nice look :good:
 
i used the fine black gravel on my daugters tank and mixed some pink through it for effect once it was scaped
but when it was just black it looked really good

black gravel looked good and its £11 for 8kg ? ( bag might be 10kg) :good:
 
If it's planted it may be better to use the black gravel as mentioned above, as the sand can clump up around the plant roots, basically killing them. Not sure if the moon sand is the same, but I know playsand does this.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top