Substrate -.- / Co2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pyro0849

Reaction score
I started a planted aquarium, and I bought flourite as a substrate because I heard the plants do well in it. I don't like the look though, so Im thinking either sand or a carpet of the grassy stuff.

1. I really want to use sand because it looks way better than this stuff, but I've heard things like you have to airate the sand often or anerobic bacteria will form and probably kill the fish. Would it be ok for me to put a layer of like 1 inch of sand on top of the flourite? Or would just the sand and the Co2/2 wpg lighting be enough to keep them alive as long as I give them nutrients?

2. I have some basic need plants, nothing red colored or too fancy, but I was thinking of perhaps growing a carpet like I see in alot of pictures - if thats the case, I wouldn't have to bother with sand since I have the flourite: could anyone explain how the carpet plants work out? Like will I need to vacumn the carpet or will the decomposing stuff be absorbed naturally by the carpet? Will I need to eventually renew (if I do how long?) the substrate flourite under the carpet, and will I ruin the carpet by uprooting it if I do?

Also, i've just started a Co2 system, and was wondering - I should keep my bubble stone off in the day and turn it on at night? And run co2 during day and turn it off at night? Just want to be sure my fish don't die on me. OH, and if any of you out there use the paintball co2 system, with a 20oz tank, how long do you think it would last on a 55g tank before I would have to refill?

I couldn't find these answers anywhere so I figured i'll ask.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back