Stupid Lfs Owner

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

freshwaterfishlover

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I went to my nearest Fish store about 15 min away. It's not big , but also not tinny. I was looking at Discus when the owner came over I said I would love to have a 120g , but I live in a Studio apartment(the 65g is at a store not at my house). He said what happened to all your Fish tanks? I told him I got married 4 months ago and when I moved out of my mothers I gave all my 7 fish tanks away. I said you need a big tank for Discus. The owner said no you don't,You can put 4 small Discus easily in a 20g all your going to do is stunt it growth. Then he tells me why do you think we can not catch 10 pound bass? Be cause the bass do not get enough food. He calls the employee over. The owner says. When you go fishing why can't you catch 10 pound bass? Employee says Because the summers are shorter. The owner says its because they do not get enough food. Then he tells me when he had his first fish tank he keept an 8" Arrowanna in a 20g. He asks the Employee can you keep Arrowannas in 20g. The employee makes sounds like not so sure about that. The owner says sure you can it will just stunt it's growth. Then the employee says ya you can keep and Arrowanna in 20g. The employee did not sound like he agreed, but just did not want to get in trouble. Then I say goodbye and leave.

So I went to my nearest Fish store about 15 min away. It's not big , but also not tinny. I was looking at Discus when the owner came over I said I would love to have a 120g , but I live in a Studio apartment(the 65g is at a store not at my house). He said what happened to all your Fish tanks? I told him I got married 4 months ago and when I moved out of my mothers I gave all my 7 fish tanks away. I said you need a big tank for Discus. The owner said no you don't,You can put 4 small Discus easily in a 20g all your going to do is stunt it growth. Then he tells me why do you think we can not catch 10 pound bass? Be cause the bass do not get enough food. He calls the employee over. The owner says. When you go fishing why can't you catch 10 pound bass? Employee says Because the summers are shorter. The owner says its because they do not get enough food. Then he tells me when he had his first fish tank he keept an 8" Arrowanna in a 20g. He asks the Employee can you keep Arrowannas in 20g. The employee makes sounds like not so sure about that. The owner says sure you can it will just stunt it's growth. Then the employee says ya you can keep and Arrowanna in 20g. The employee did not sound like he agreed, but just did not want to get in trouble. Then I say goodbye and leave.

Don't listen to LFS, There a company. There key point is to make money not to care for fish. The best answer you can get is from google and not a member of staff, Although some places are better than others you should do your research anyway.

I think the op already knows about research as he has had 7 tanks before, he was just telling the story about the bad LFS.

Anything to make a sale lol. When I got into Discus about 6 years back my lfs boss told me that I could have 5 Discus as they need to be kept in groups (correct) in a 100L lol (WRONG!!!!!!!!!).

There are an awful lot of 'old school' fishkeepers who do think it's perfectly acceptable to deliberatly stunt fish so they don't outgrow their tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back