FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jeef

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 4 tiger barbs
They nip the other fish quite often
Especially my peppered cories

would adding a few more barbs make them nip at each other rather than the other fish?
Will they ever relax or stop nipping at the other fish if I don't add more?
They're really pissin me off :angry:
I have only had the barbs for a few days.

what should I do?
:dunno:

yes adding more tiger barbs should reduce the nipping oif your other fish.
Please post this next time in begginer ot tropical fish forum. Newbie is for saying "hi" only.

6 is the normal "minimum" number quoted for Tigers, although more is better. That way there are enough to make sure they are busy with each other, and also enough to make sure the aggression is shared out amongst the subordinate barbs.

I actually added 3 more barbs. I have 7 now

They've been in for 2 or 3 days and I've yet to see a nipping of another species committed by a barb. Thanks for the advice.

jeef said:
I actually added 3 more barbs. I have 7 now

They've been in for 2 or 3 days and I've yet to see a nipping of another species committed by a barb. Thanks for the advice.
They get addictive.

I started with 3, then went to 5, then went to 9, then went to 11, now i have 13 and have no plans for anymore.

hi
glad to hear your problem seems to have been solved!!! we have 6 barbs(3 green 3 stripey tigers) & have never seen them go for anything else in our tank or even nip eachother but they do have those dominace fights - spinning nose to nose with their dorsal fin at full sail ,sometimes for ages, hillarious to watch & none seem to get hurt. although we have 6 boys maybe if we had some females things would change. if we had room we'd get a couple but our tank is pretty well stocked at the moment. :)

I have 3 (started with 5 but lich did a number on my tank :-( ) and they dont both a sole , hardly themselves it quite interesting to watch
lately it seems my male is chasing the other 2 females around with all his colors showing

You may well find that the male will harrass the females until they are in very bad shape, I would recommend you get a few more.

i have 3 barbs and there pretty cool w/everyone else lol.. i had to get rid of my 2 gouramis tho, the just aggravated the heck out of my glowlite tetras, now my glowlites school up nice and there color is awesome!!!! plan on adding 6-8 cardials..but the barbs seem to play with eveyone now and only take a look on occasion at the glowlites think il keep the 3..but man do the barbs grow fast!!!!! be careful....do your barbs on occasion do a head stand? lol mine were for a while but now thay dont seem to be..i dropped a tiny peice of raw hamburger in the othe day (we were making tacos) they were like pirranas the barbs lol but only a lil tiny cpl peices on occasion..guess i heard if u crush a pea to btwn your fingers w/o skin and drop it they love it too...but i aint pouring um no cocktails uh uhhh [iii]D \%/ :hyper: :beer: :fish: :band: :rofl:

Most reactions

Back