Stumped as to problem (resolved)

Do you have a lid on this tote? I'm thinking that's the best way to reduce contaminants.
I plan on making one, since the lid is used as a base under it.

More substrate maybe one to two inches across the base
Yes I plan to! Just for now I grabbed a bag of crushed coral and used that for the little bit (to increase my GH for my guppies in there). I plan on grabbing a bag of play sand from the hardware store tomorrow.
I didn't want to fit it totally with crushed coral in case it increased my GH too drastically. I just needed a boost.

Everyone is a lot perkier this morning. Begging for food, swimming around picking at the substrate, though they seem obsessed with the filter waterfall. They swim into it and go for a bit of a dip, do a little circle and go right back to it. Lol

Just the guppy with the bad eye still a little weak, but everyone is more active. Puff the goldfish's sores look less red too.
20200927_105724.jpg
20200927_105721.jpg
20200927_105723.jpg

Something occurred to me today after doing the weekly shop - is it possible there were traces of hand sanitiser still on your hands or under your nails when you put your hands in the tank? Only I got back today after using hand sanitiser dozens of times while shopping, different brands too since I used the stores supply as well, wiped down the groceries with anti-bacterial wipes, and despite washing my hands thoroughly in hot soapy water, I could still feel and smell the sanitiser on my hands. I needed to water change a tank so I washed repeatedly in hot soapy water, scrubbing under my nails with a nail brush.

It's made me paranoid before that traces of it might get into a tank, is it possible that's what happened to you?

Something occurred to me today after doing the weekly shop - is it possible there were traces of hand sanitiser still on your hands or under your nails when you put your hands in the tank? Only I got back today after using hand sanitiser dozens of times while shopping, different brands too since I used the stores supply as well, wiped down the groceries with anti-bacterial wipes, and despite washing my hands thoroughly in hot soapy water, I could still feel and smell the sanitiser on my hands. I needed to water change a tank so I washed repeatedly in hot soapy water, scrubbing under my nails with a nail brush.

It's made me paranoid before that traces of it might get into a tank, is it possible that's what happened to you?
Its very possible, though if it were my hands it should have affected other tanks too.

BUT my kid on the other hand, he does interact with the goldfish and its possible he didn't wash all the sanitizer off his hands. (I supervise and make him wash his hands before he interacts, he likes them kissing his fingers and he likes to feed them. Ive made it routine that he has to have clean hands first, but you never know, he's 5)

That concern did pop in my head unrelated to this problem weeks ago. I'm super paranoid with putting my hands in the tank if something else has been on them, even food lol.

I've accidentally put my hands in tank forgetting I'd sun tan lotion on earlier in the day. Arms came out & I saw the lotion. My 2.5 year old threw a hook in the other day. I was right beside him but when they want they find a way. Really glad all has settled down & hope the goldfish is better soon. I really love your collection of fish :wub:

I also love @mbsqw1d super defensive comment about kids :rofl: you never can be too careful giving advice around parenting :rofl:

Its very possible, though if it were my hands it should have affected other tanks too.

BUT my kid on the other hand, he does interact with the goldfish and its possible he didn't wash all the sanitizer off his hands. (I supervise and make him wash his hands before he interacts, he likes them kissing his fingers and he likes to feed them. Ive made it routine that he has to have clean hands first, but you never know, he's 5)

That concern did pop in my head unrelated to this problem weeks ago. I'm super paranoid with putting my hands in the tank if something else has been on them, even food lol.
Love him, it's so sweet that he's so into the fish :wub: Yeah, even if he washed his hands well, sanitiser can get under your nails too, and I wouldn't expect a kid to be scrubbing with a nail brush. I just hate how difficult it is to really get all that stuff off of your skin.

It's necessary to use it of course, not complaining about that! I'm being very careful to use masks, sanitiser, wipe down groceries and things and hand wash; I just get eczema on my hands sometimes, and it's flaring painfully with all the hot water and scrubbing.

It just occurred to me today that it would be easy to accidentally contaminate a tank even after washing your hands, so thought I'd mention it in case it helps :)

I've accidentally put my hands in tank forgetting I'd sun tan lotion on earlier in the day. Arms came out & I saw the lotion. My 2.5 year old threw a hook in the other day. I was right beside him but when they want they find a way. Really glad all has settled down & hope the goldfish is better soon. I really love your collection of fish :wub:

I also love @mbsqw1d super defensive comment about kids :rofl: you never can be too careful giving advice around parenting :rofl:

A hook??
:oops::lol:

ya never know, I could be a Karen and go nuts "HoW dArE yOu AcCuSe My PrEcIoUs SNOWFLAKE oF wRoNgDoInGs!!"

ya never know, I could be a Karen and go nuts "HoW dArE yOu AcCuSe My PrEcIoUs SNOWFLAKE oF wRoNgDoInGs!!"
"mY cHiLd WaS BoRn KnOwInG eVeRyThInG!!! tHeY nEvEr MeSs uP oR aCt LiKe A kId oR mAkE a MiStAkE! i Am A pErFeCt PaReNt!!!!!!!

Wow, typing like that is super annoying to do.
Oh a small plastic hook that goes with his ikea kitchen. He was pretending it's a crab claw. He's really obsessed with crabs lately :rofl:

Though he's been quite into Hallowe'en stuff lately so wouldn't be surprised to find him trying to run around with a big scary hook! Haha

View attachment 117921
Quick! Someone tell @AilyNC 's son all about freshwater crabs you can get! Tiny, cute little things... Might be time for another tank!
Vampire crabs are awesome looking.. and like hard water ;)
vampire crab.jpg

You can see why I asked about the hook though, right?? When you say hook, I imagine huge captain hook hooks. Or fishing hooks :lol:

"mY cHiLd WaS BoRn KnOwInG eVeRyThInG!!! tHeY nEvEr MeSs uP oR aCt LiKe A kId oR mAkE a MiStAkE! i Am A pErFeCt PaReNt!!!!!!!

Wow, typing like that is super annoying to do.

Quick! Someone tell @AilyNC 's son all about freshwater crabs you can get! Tiny, cute little things... Might be time for another tank!
Vampire crabs are awesome looking.. and like hard water ;)
View attachment 117923

You can see why I asked about the hook though, right?? When you say hook, I imagine huge captain hook hooks. Or fishing hooks :lol:
I did think about getting him a crab but if I find shrimp terrifying there's no way I'd manage with a crab. As cool as that vampire looking one :wub: I was thinking more octonauts tank (can't find decorations though) with a Bristlenose & lots of make Endlers. Plenty of fun activity for him to enjoy.

I did think about getting him a crab but if I find shrimp terrifying there's no way I'd manage with a crab. As cool as that vampire looking one :wub: I was thinking more octonauts tank (can't find decorations though) with a Bristlenose & lots of make Endlers. Plenty of fun activity for him to enjoy.
But... but... shrimp are so cute!
DSCF3373.JPG
DSCF3383.JPG

How could you not love these little cuties! They just go around the tank, nomming things :) Cleaning up my dragonstone and plants.

Never heard of Octonauts, the latest kids show craze? Like Paw Patrol?

Ooh, an Octonauts themed tank, now there’s a idea, my 6 year old boy would LOVE that! :wub:

I can't find any tank decorations. I did see someone ask the show if they'd any and answer was the octonauts in an Aquarium would try set all the fish free :rofl:

But Seattle Aquarium has a big Octonauts section.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart they're an underwater with motto Explore! Rescue! Protect! And basically go on these missions to save sea creatures. They give lots of fish facts too. It's a lot better than listening to Paw Patrol :rofl: the shrimp are cute but I still think they'll crawl over me and kill me.

I can't find any tank decorations. I did see someone ask the show if they'd any and answer was the octonauts in an Aquarium would try set all the fish free :rofl:

But Seattle Aquarium has a big Octonauts section.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart they're an underwater with motto Explore! Rescue! Protect! And basically go on these missions to save sea creatures. They give lots of fish facts too. It's a lot better than listening to Paw Patrol :rofl: the shrimp are cute but I still think they'll crawl over me and kill me.
Well, I might not understand your phobia, but my own phobia for spiders is much the same. I know that they're harmless, that they're not trying to terrify me, but I still can't help that panicked revulsion when I see one in the house.

I can hold tarantulas, I'm fine with images, I have respect for the spiders place in the ecosystem, I like learning about them even - but from a distance. Just don't suddenly appear in my house and run at me, or fall on my head at 3am from the picture rail! (happened to me not that long ago, I couldn't sleep in that room until someone found the huge house spider for me and relocated it).

Most reactions

Back