Stubborn Balloons...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

dark_tyger

Reaction score
I have three balloons mollies right now, two female, one male. The females have looked like they were pregnant for a couple months now [yes the look pregnant, and are not just the normal balloon molly fatness ;) ]. I have a tons of plants and places to hide in my tank, and everything else is great. They just won't drop for anything. I have been waiting for these babies forever now. So, do you have any advice to coax them along at all? I think I read somewhere that someone got theirs to drop after a water change...? Any suggestions are appreciated.

small water changes can often induce breeding behavior in many fish. you might give it a try. i've also been told that turning up the temp just a couple of degrees for a short time can help them along.

so they've appeared to be pregnant?? maybe they dropped but either didn't drop many or ate them all before you ever even noticed. my lyretails tend to do their business at night so in the morning i usually only find one or two survivors.

i wonder if balloon mollies, due to their slightly odd body structure, have difficulty having babies or breeding. be curious to know if anyone has had a great deal of success with theirs. i have just a pair of balloons right now, and while they swim together, i have yet to see her be prego...... (i know about the ratio thing, just haven't found a second female yet.....)

my molly was pregnant for what seemed like forever so I started doing daily 10% water changes and she dropped a couple days later (they're all coming up on two weeks old now! still haven't lost any!)

Water changes will definately help. My balloon molly was pregnant when I purchased her. She dropped 12 (that I found) 3 days after I put her in my tank. Then it seemed forever before she had her 2nd batch...I just kept changing the water. Her 3rd batch took longer yet, then one day she finally dropped. It seems that if they are under a lot of stress, could even be from other fish, they will hold the fry until everything is perfect. I had a male platty that bothered her during her 3rd pregnancy, but once I got him out of the tank, the next day she dropped. Hope this helps and just be patient, it will happen! :alien:

Sue

Hi. I added a new post way too early. Im having the same problem :( I have had fry born before from the Balloon Mollies. I went to the pet store and found the largest female in the tank. Brought her home and she gave birth as soon as I got her home. Then I bought another one and put her in the bag floating in the tank and she gave birth. now my first molly hasnt and i want to know why? :/

Ok, I will try the water change. The one female was very pregnant when I bought her, the other got pregnant not long after I had her. I did find I a fry about 2 weeks ago. Sadly I found right when I was leaving to go out of town, and haven't spotted it since. I don't think it was a ballon fry though, as my lyretail [sp?] was super huge at the time. But we shall see I suppose...I'm sure one day I will wake up and find little babies in the tank, as that is the way it always happens :D

well sorry this isnt help but this is my story

had a guppy for 8 months and then gave birth 4 days ago..so patience? i thought that my guppy was a weirdo :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back