Strange Tetra Day

Vass_sCo

Reaction score
Got up this morning at 5 and noticed my 6 black neon tetra zipping across the tank shortly followed by the 9 neon tetras and then a couple of hours later the 8 phantom tetras started grouping up not schooling but definitely grouping.

I did my normal water changes and noting out of the ordinary but definitely strange behaviour from all of the tetras all other fish are acting as normal

Any ideas on wtf is going on its lasted all day from 5 in the morning and now 23:00

Sounds like they were stressed and grouping for security. Initially it could be a sudden switch from dark to light but that wouldn't last all day. Are there any aggressive or semi aggressive fish in the tetra tank?

I would say more following each other across the tank.

I have the fluval aquasky so no sudden lighting changes nothing out of the normal just there behaviour... calmed down now all seem passive

Semi aggressive fish 2 german blue rams however they are non aggressive apart from chasing each other now and again and thats calmed down as they have now paired.

I've not had GBR but speculate that a new pairing could become more territorial/ defensive. This may not be physical (visibly) but could take the form of chemical signals (pheromones and alemones) in the water that we are unaware of but the other fish will detect.

My GBRs breed every couple of months, they become more territorial but defend such a small area that the black neons are left alone unless they go to steal some of the eggs, then they get chased off. The black neons do not seem very concerned about the whole process.

Most reactions

Back