Strange Looking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Vethian

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
just got these guys and noticed one is very plump.  looks very odd.  should I be concerned?

Kinda hard to tell from your pic but unless it's acting strange it could be pregnant?

Plump cories can be females full of eggs, though they are not 'pregnant'.

Sometimes a water change with slightly cooler water, especially during stormy weather, can cause them to spawn... So you might to consider that.

how long will they hold eggs?  she acts perfectly normal and swims with the school and eats.

She'll hold them as long as she wants, if that is what it is. It was tough to tell in the picture.

looks like it might be a female to me. There are very subtle differences when they are young but in general the female is larger, fatter and often will sit with her tail slightly raised at this stage.

Regarding being 'pregnant' ... cories are egg layers (as already noted by others). You can generally tell when a female is holding eggs as the male will pursue her and invite spawning several times. I call this 'the waggle dance' because that's what it looks like. The male will 'waggle' his side and underbelly in front of the females face. Cories spawn by the male and female going into what is known as 'T position'. This involves the female clamping her mouth to the males anal area. They will remain in this position for a few moments before breaking loose. The female will then clamp her anal fins and release eggs into them. She will hold the eggs clamped between her anal fins and go off and find a spot to release them. This can be your tank glass, an ornament, a leaf, even the filter. Cory eggs are incredibly sticky to begin will and so will cling to what-ever surface she chooses. A mature female can release up to around a 100 eggs in one spawn so spawning can go on for several hours. 
Over about 3 to 4 days fertile cory eggs will darken in colour. Once the fry break free of the egg they will be incredibly tiny. In the aquarium they will be virtually invisable. If you want to raise some it's best to remove the eggs and bring them on yourself as cories do not make good parents - mine have been known to eat their own eggs.

Hopefully there's some useful info there for you. If you get to see the 'waggle dance' you'll be able to get an idea which are male and which are female. Only the boys will waggle their bodies in front of a female. They won't 'waggle' in front of another male.

Good luck sexing :D

Most reactions

trending

Back