Strange Light Failure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SJ2K

Always Want More Fish?!
Reaction score
So I went home yesterday to find the stock light in my juwel rekord 80 was out, after taking off the hood and looking I could see the bulb wasnt completly dead as both ends of the tube would still glow orange when plugged in. I assumed it was just the faulty tube as ive had it nearly 12 months, so i buy a new 18w t8 tube today, fits in perfectly, turn it on and again just both ends glow orange? Almost like theres not enough power the full luminate the tube? Ive got a picture of it but the descriptions pretty self explanitary. I do hope i dont have to hack out the electrics because the damn moulded plastic hood looks like a nightmare.

SP_A0141.jpg

Any ideas?

Ps I know the old reflectors looks like crap, it happens.

if its a magnetic starter then i reckon you need to replace that little white thing ( oh whats it called??)- then i bet that would be too straight forward and its not eh??
shelagh xxx

Well ive orderd some new end caps, just incase it helps :good: Ta

Didnt make a single bit of difference, any other ideas?

when mine would only flicker it was the starter in the transformer cost 45p to get a new one from local DIY shop after that ive no idea sorry
scot :good:

Looks like im going to have to hack open this damn moulded plastic hood then, if anyone has any info on what i should find and what i should replace/where its located, id appreciate that.

If BOTH ends of the tube are glowing, this is showing that the heaters are on... usually this means the starter has failed - this is a cylindrical 2 pin device, always accessable - about 1 inch long.... if you remove this whilst the power is ON, the ends will go out... maybe even the tube will light (strike)

2nd scenario is you have a duff tube (just because its new .... it happens !)

3rd your choke (aka ballast) is shot - get digging !

Starter is my guess, if you have a flourescent fitting around the house (kitchen ?) you could borrow a known worker... or buy one, they are only 50p
Once the tube is lit, its safe to remove the starter - the lamp will remain lit, until power is removed.

For lighting problems like this, its a good idea to keep a spare cheapo white tube (£1 or less) just to test with.

Good luck :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back