storing water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sanj

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I bought an 80 litre black bin from Homebase garden section. This is intended for storing water for water changes. Do you think it is safe enough for this?

I would have thought so, but i have heard people suggset you shoulfd use 'food grade' containers, but what is plastic going to leach?

It sounds ok to me, will it be rain water or from the tap, you might have to keep it covered so no parasites can get in.

I would contact the manufacturer and do a little net research to be sure. Some Plastic products can leech Phthalates, but I have not researched to see if there is any documentation discussing possible long term effects on fish (there seems to be contoversy about what the possible long term effects are on humans and animals). Good luck!

Garden water storage products are not suitable for storing water for aquarium use as toxins used in the manufactoring process leach out into the water, as you have heard any plastic material used must be graded for human food or drinking water storage use.

One member a while back lost a lot of L numbers due to using a garden water butt to age water for his tanks.

Anything by "rubber maid" tends to be a fair bet. They do some 30 litre containers which I've used for ages now.

BTW, what about a large bin like sanj said but with a few coats on the inside with silicone paint like that used on wooden tanks?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back