Storage totes for RO water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kross

Reaction score
I moved to an area with hard water, and will be using an RO filter to make water. I'm trying to figure out where to store the water. Are plastic storage totes suitable? Do I need to worry about things like BPA?

Edit: I see in the other storage totes thread that Sterilite totes are food grade, and are not a problem. So nevermind! :D

Last edited:
Actually there are many colourful and interesting hard water fish that you can consider.
From the common livebearers like Guppies, Endlers, Platies, Mollies to African Cichlids.

Under African Cichlids, you have many nice fish from Lake Tanganyika, Lake Malawi(more aggressive), Lake Victoria fish.
You also have Rainbow fish from Australia.

There are also some beautiful Central America fish that are suitable for hard water.

Let me know if you need suggestions of fish based on your tank size.

Well, I have a 75g and a 29g tank, neither of which are setup. I've been out of the hobby for years, and I'm in the process of getting back into it.

I want a fully planted tank, and the fish I'm looking at are mostly soft water fish, like cories, tetras, maybe a dwarf gourami or german blue ram, etc.

I've had platies before, and I like them, but they do tend to make a lot of babies! How do you tell if a platy is pregnant? Is it female? Is it a platy? Then it's pregnant. lol

What is your tap water GH, pH?
You can check your tap water company website to find out the average GH, pH throughout the whole year.

If your GH is too high, you will need a lot of RO water to reduce the GH especially for your 75 gallons tank.
Take for example, if you want to reduce the GH from 20 to 10dGH (half of it), you will need at least 50% of RO water to mix with 50% of your tap water.
So, you will need about 37.5 gallons of RO water and a big tote to store the water.

By the way, there are widespread of iridovirus disease with the Dwarf Gouramis which have discouraged most people from keeping them.

Why don't you consider some Shell dwellers for your 29 gallons tank?

And some average size(4-5") and lesser aggressive Lake Tanganyika fish for your 75 gallons tank?
Avoid the Tropheus which are more aggressive and Frontosa which will grow too large.

Some videos for your viewings.
Shell dweller:

Lake Tanganyikan fish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PFN1BiFwlQ

I've been using R/O water from my home unit for over two years now. I use a Rubbermaid Brute 44 gallon container. It's rated food safe. I also keep extra in plain old 5 gallon buckets that are labeled HDPE 2. I did a little Internet research on plastic and found that these should be perfectly fine. Like you, I wondered about this too figuring that since I was going to all the trouble to make this nice water , was I ruining it by putting it in storage containers that could leach off some contaminant or toxic substance. I use a digital TDS meter to check the parts per million (PPM) and nothing changes so I figure nothing is sloughing off the container. I notice no ill effects to my fish or plants. In fact, everything is thriving. Hope this helps.

Water chemistry is not so simple. I know I have been using RO/DI water for a number of years now. I suggest you have a read here:
https://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-chem.html

I batch the water nor only for my tanks but also for my brother who uses it in humidifiers. We store is in a variety of containers- mostly 1 gal.jugs which originally held apple cider or distilled water. I also use a 6 gal. water container, several 5 gal. buckets and even a dedicated 2.5 gal gas can (not a metal one). The water is batched in a different room than those in which it is used so the 1 gal. jugs are easy to carry.

I make the water directly into a 20 gal RubberMaid garbage can. I use a small pump to fill the assorted containers as it fills. I do not store water for any time unless the container can be covered with a top of some sort. I have a utility sink with a faucet adapted to accept garden hose connections. My RO/DI unit is considered a portable. It comes with an garden hose connection input. When I sold fish at weekend events I bring the unit with me. I have adapters for almost any source and I just mix hotel water and my RO/Di at 50%.

If one needs to store more water and has the space, consider something like either of the below:
https://jehmco.com/html/water_storage_tanks.html
or on the smaller side and it helps if you need o store the container and do not have a lot of space.
https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Water-Container/s?k=Collapsible+Water+Container&tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@TwoTankAmin is right. Water chemistry is not so simple. My R/O water always stays at a pH of 7.8 just as it comes from the tap. If I were to want a lower pH I would have to buffer it somehow. I want less mineralized water for my Killifish and I have that with reverse osmosis water. Keep in mind that as soon as it goes into the aquarium it changes into something else. All the things that affect water - uneaten food, decaying plants and fish waste - remain the same and you still have to do your regular maintenance . There's an Englishman on this forum who uses straight R/O in a tank with Cardinal Tetras and a certain loach. His tank is magnificent. The pictures he's posted are beautiful. So if that's what you want you'll get there.

Thanks for the input everyone, lots to think about.

Regarding the water, we are on well water, with a water softener. I know softened water is no good for fish. I could either use the hard water from the outdoor hose faucet, or RO water.

One thing steering me away from hard water African cichlids, is I was under the impression that you couldn't do a planted tank with them. I don't want a tank with a rocky seascape. Am I wrong? I like plants :)

As for the water parameters, I ordered an API test kit, which won't be here until Monday.

Something I just found out is that most R/O membranes will handle up to 700 PPM TDS of incoming water so your well water shouldn't be any significant problem. Last summer my irrigation well was reading 425 PPM. Also, I have read one source that claims the sodium ions from water softeners don't hurt fish. I'm skeptical of that claim but he makes that claim from personal experience and he is a successful breeder. You decide.

I absolutely will not use the softened water for fish. Once we watered plants with it, and the plants died. So now we only use unsoftened water for watering plants :D

Thanks for the input everyone, lots to think about.

Regarding the water, we are on well water, with a water softener. I know softened water is no good for fish. I could either use the hard water from the outdoor hose faucet, or RO water.

One thing steering me away from hard water African cichlids, is I was under the impression that you couldn't do a planted tank with them. I don't want a tank with a rocky seascape. Am I wrong? I like plants :)

As for the water parameters, I ordered an API test kit, which won't be here until Monday.

I'm sure you can do a planted tank but you may have to research for plants that can take hard water or higher pH.
You can see from one of the videos above that they have plants in the tank.
I guess most people used rocks and sand only because they are trying to imitate the habitat of the African lakes.

If I'm not wrong, water softener produces water with too much sodium in it which probably killed the plants.
Anyway, you can check internet for more information.

Water softeners will be of different ages. Over time the technology has improved. They remove more of the salt from the softened water than they have in the past. However, some sodium will get rhough. The problem is greater from the waste the siftener pumps out. This is where all of the sodium and chloride are and they have an iimpact on the environment.

I chose to get an TRO/DI unit beciuase the DI part removes Ions. In water Nitrate is an ion and so is nitrite. Even ammonium is an Ion. When I test the output water from my unit is reads close to 0 TDS. The pH of it should be dead neutral at 7.0, but it never is. This is due to CO2. As this naturally works its way back into the RO/Di it creates carbonic acid and this lowers the pH. This happens because the KH of the RO/DI water is 0. So there is no buffering in the water and the acid drops the pH well under 7.0.

I mix my RO/DI with my tap in an 11::9 mix. But, I use my digital probes in the changing water to adjust the pH some. This is hbased on what the tank readings are. I use muriatic acid to get the pH where I need so when I refil the tank the resultant parametrs will be within my target range which is 5.8 to 6.3.

There is a belief out there that changing the pH by more than a tiny bit will harm fish. However, this is not a universal. It depsnds on the species and the direction of the change. Here is what I do know. When I decided to give Altum angels a go, I bough the first ones from a home based seller. I picked them up from him at his home. He had a nice fish room in the basement filled with vert soft water low pH fish. ut he worked a full time job and the fish were a hobby/second business.

His wife would do water changes but she would not do anything about fine tuning parameters using acid. When I went to get my fish he needed to do that. I watched him put probes into a tank with Altums and then watched him add acid which caused the pH to drop 1.i point in under 5 minutes. To my surprise the fish appeared not to even notice the change. Over the time I have kept Altums I have dropped their tank pH by one full pint in under five minutes, The fish were fine.

Bear in mind the fish came out of water with a pH of about 4.0. When I received them the tank was at 4.2 and 20-30 ppm TDS. I took six months to raise the pH to the 5.8 - 6.3 range and to raise the TDS into the 60-70 ppm range. The most interesting part of it all was I essentially did a fish in cycle without intending to do so. At a pH under 6 prety much all the ammonia in NH4 and none is NH3. So the fish can deal with this for a while. I did have a plan to cycle filters at 6.0 in a biofarm tank.

This involved cycling them at my tap's 7.0 and then dropping the pH by .2 and recycling at that level. I thought this was a great plan as the filters would be functioning at 6.0 about the same time the tank had risen to that level. Even at 6.0 ammonia is not real toxic. But no fish will do well over time in NH4 at any level. It may be less toxic than the NH3 form, but it can still harm fish from elevated levels for extended time.

However, before it was time to add the filters, testing the tank revealed that there was 0 ammonia present. The tank cycled itself and the parameters made it safe for the fish. I added the cycled air powered foam filters anyway. The tank did have a couple of AC 200s on it from the start. I normally cycle filters in a biofarm for many tanks. However, the cycled filters go into the tank before the fish so I can do a test ammonia dose to insure the filters have the tank safe for the fish. So far they have always been 100% ready.

I do not use any buffers but I do have almond leaves in the Altum tank and alder cones in bags in the filters. I run this tank stained which makes using test kits tricky. But, during the initial phase, the water was left unstained so I could read the test results. The staining began at about the six month point. I actually had to run through two poorly working digital monitors before i got the one I have had ever since,

Like I said, water chemistry is not so simple. :cool:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back