Stocking Suggestions

saz_jam

New Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
UK, Berkshire
I have a Fluval Roma 125 that has been up and running for 1 month, after upgrading from a 48 litre. My current stocking is:

1 Male Flame Dwarf Gourami
2 Hi Fin Platy
2 Cherry Barb
5 Green Neon Tetra
5 Rummynose

My water stats are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, PH 7.8 (same as tap water)

I can't decide on what to get next and how to 'finish' my tank off! It is so confusing reading different things about fish on websites because they never say the same thing! Could I have your suggestions on whether 5 Panda Cory's and 1 or 2 Pearl Gourami's would be ok in my tank, both with the fish I already have and also for it to not be overstocked! :unsure:

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks

Sarah
 
I'm getting a roma 125 on saturday :) For the stocking you have how about topping up your schools of tetras? Maybe make them upto 8? And then maybe add in 2 female dwarf gourami rather than adding the pearls as the male dwarf might fight with them a bit. And I think adding the cories in would work as well.

How are you getting on with the green neons been thinking of having some in mine but was worried they are a bit delicate?
 
i notice you don't have any detritivores - things that eat leftovers and scraps.

some of the best ones are corydoras catfish - they're cheap, easy to find, lively and very nice to look at. also, they don't grow too big either.
note that even though they eat scraps, they won't live on it. they need feeding - catfish pellets are best.
also, they are very sociable and need to be kept in groups - 4 minimum. this, i find makes them more interesting. they'll huddle together. it's really quite cute :good:
 
a nice pair of opalines would be nice

i have a 110 llitre with
2 opaline G
2 angels
1 dwarf G

it looks sweet!
 
I thought that you were really supposed to keep Gourami in pairs? Also thought that barbs did better in larger groups? Takes the nippyness out of them and focus their attention on each other. Cory cats are also a playfull addition. :good:
 
Yeah I may well add a few more of each tetra, I love the rummynose, they are gorgeous looking and they like sticking together more than the green neons do. I did a fish-in cycle and the green neons were the fish that were in the tank during cycling, none of them died and they are still going strong so I would say they are pretty hardy (unless I got lucky?)

With regards to keeping the gourami's in pairs (as I say you always hear different things!) I heard that it is best to keep them in a group of 2 or 3 females to every 1 male otherwise the male can harass a lone female to a point where she hides all the time and cause her a great deal of stress? Either that or just have 1 male. TBH I wish I had gotten pearl gourami's (or similar) instead after hearing the dwarf's don't tend to live too long and are more prone to diseases! I have him now so will keep him, he is such a funny character!

The barbs have also done really well (even though there are only 2). I have never seen them nipping at any other fish, they are very good and keep themselves to themselves!

OK so I am definitely going to go for the corydoras catfish, I will probably get 5 of them. With regards to the gourami, would my male dwarf fight with pearl/opaline grouami's if I got females?

Thanks for your replies everyone, I am very pleased with your responses :D
 
I think you would be safer with the pearl than the opaline the opaline are much more viscous than the placid pearls :)
 
I think you would be safer with the pearl than the opaline the opaline are much more viscous than the placid pearls :)

I have just been having a look on the internet about the opaline, it looks like they can get quite a bit bigger than the pearl's so I think I may stick to the pearl. Thanks for the suggestion matchstickman47! They look beautiful don't they! :wub:
 
yeh they r...
mine are very docile only nipping when food is put in, however the fish in the tank they are kept in are bigger than they are, xcpt the dwarf
 

Most reactions

Back
Top