Stocking suggestions for 20g

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Thank you! I have never kept Gouramis either so I have no idea how itā€™ll play out, but I have read on many sites and from other people that two females can be kept together or two males if the tank is big enough for each to have their own territory, though Iā€™d rather go with females. I will look into the Rasboras, they look very pretty.

Thanks for the info!

I agree with Nick on no livebearers (mollies, guppies, platies or swordtails) and no fish that require hard water with a pH above 7.0.

Your water is suitable for soft water fishes like tetras, rasboras, labyrinths (gouramis & Bettas), Corydoras, and various other soft water fishes.

You cannot keep different species of labyrinth together so either a Better or Honey Dwarf gouramis but not both. Honey Dwarf gouramis are peaceful and hardy and do well in aquariums. They tend to hang around the surface and when breeding the males will pick on and bully other fish in the tank. But for the rest of the time they are very peaceful and get along well with most fish. Unfortunately you cannot always guarantee what sex the Honey Dwarf gouramis are when you buy them because a dominant male will show colour but subordinate males will look like females. You could get 2 fish and monitor them and hope you get 2 females or a male and female. But if you get 2 males they will probably argue in that tank.

Avoid Dwarf Gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) and all their colour forms (red flame, coral blue, etc) because they carry TB and the Iridovirus, neither of which can be treated. Most other small species of gourami are normally free of these diseases.

Some other types of small labyrinth include Licorice and Sparkling gouramis, and Betta imbellis. You will have to look around for these fish or put an order in at the local pet shop and then wait for them to become available.

Due to the surface area (15inch x 15inch) normal Corydoras are too big for the tank. However, pygmy Cories might be ok. The surface area is also too small for black skirt tetras and probably neon tetras. And I would not have a pleco in the tank. If you want an algae eater then get a couple of Otocinclus catfish.

Thank you! Iā€™m really looking forward to stocking this tank, ive never had Gouramis but I figured Iā€™d branch out (and I love the way they look plus Iā€™m good with Bettas). The store I get fish from is not a chain store and they have most of the fish (if not all) that I listed. You mentioned the dwarf Gouramis and their diseases but also called the honeys the dwarf honeys, does this mean they are free of those diseases or are they the same as plainly labeled honey/sunset Gouramis?

Also, if I end up with a male and a female, will they breed in my tank? Are there other ways to tell the two genders apart at the store?

Thank you, you guys are awesome once again!

Honey Dwarf gouramis is what we call Honey gouramis (Trichogaster chuna) here. They are a different species to the normal Dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius).

All gouramis can get the Iridovirus and all fish can get TB, however, the most commonly affected are the dwarf gourami (Trichogaster lalius) and its colour forms. Most of the other small species of gourami (like Honeys, Licorice, Chocolate, Sparkling) do not carry these diseases.

These diseases are caused by the breeders in Asia who continue to use contaminated ponds and brood stock and send out millions of contaminated fish every year. The people that supply other species of Labyrinth generally don't breed as many and have better husbandry practices. And a few of the more unusual Labyrinths are wild caught so don't get exposed to these diseases until they come into captivity and are put in tanks that previously contained dwarf gouramis.

If you can find locally bred dwarf gouramis they are usually free of these diseases. Sometimes these fish are available from German breeders and they should be free of the diseases too.

-------------------------
If you get a male and female Honey gourami, they will probably breed. The following link is from one of the members here who got a couple of Honey gouramis and has been breeding them. You might find it interesting.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/are-these-eggs-no-bubbles-anymore-but-unknown-orbs-remain.449398/

Thanks so much! I think Iā€™ve got a plan now, the hardest part so far is waiting for the whole thing to cycle!!

Thank you for answering all of my questions so quickly and providing links! Iā€™ll be sure to check them out.

You could do a community setup with small fish- neon tetras, silver tipped tetras, zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows. Hardy, lots of color and activity.

That also sounds nice, but I do like having a centerpiece fish if possible.

Thank you though!

You could do a community setup with small fish- neon tetras, silver tipped tetras, zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows. Hardy, lots of color and activity.

The stated tank is not sufficient size for active fish like danios and silver tip tetras. Vertical tanks only suit sedate fish that cruise, not swim around. And 20 gallons is small to begin with. :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back