Stocking Question... Sorry!

tubthumped

New Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Staffordshire, UK.
Hi all, just after a few ideas and advice.

Some of you may have read I've recently upgraded to a 90 litre tank. I guess I have around 80 litres of water taking substrate, decor etc into consideration.

In the tank at the minute I have:

8 White spot (dawn) tetra
3 cardinal tetra
1 green neon (shoals with the cardinal)
3 black neon
2 dwarf bristlenose plecs
1 kuhli loach
1 fighter
1 dwarf frog


Now I'm having a nightmare with the White spot tetras... They just bully all the other tetras into hiding and occasionally to death! So I think they are going to a friends tank tonight where they will by kept in check by much larger groups of much bigger fish.

Anyway, what are peoples opinions on stock levels and ideas once these are gone?
I'm thinking of some more cardinals, some rummy nose and maybe some glowlight tetra.

Obviously these are all types of tetra, but I'm happy for all suggestions.

Many thanks,
craig
 
A larger group of a couple of species generally looks far more impressive than 2-3 of many species. Also since your planning on stocking with tetras, the one inch of adult fish per us gallon would be a fairly good guideline in this case.

I've never heard of dwarf bristlenose plecs, but I wouldn't put 2 "normal" bristlenoses in an 80L, 1 max. Siamese fighting fish aka betta, aren't a good idea to mix with tetras either (especially long fin ones). Tetras are nippy fish and can make a nice betta look ragged (and potentially cause worse problems). Sometimes if the betta feels like it they may also kill small tetras, although in a 2ft (presuming) tank that won't be much of an issue. The main one is nipping.

Kuhli loaches prefer to be in groups of 5+ and tetras groups of 6+, otherwise they tend to hide a lot and be very timid/skittish.

All that being said, I'd look at increasing the tetras you currently have to shoals of at least 6 each.

6 cardinals/green neons (since you said they shoal together you can increase one or the other or both)
6 black neons
5 kuhli loaches

Keep in mind when doing this though the guideline of 1" per 1g. But I think this would look better than adding further species of tetra in low numbers. You could then think about either further increasing the numbers of these shoals, or adding another shoal (6+) of tetra, like glowlight or rummynose.
 
Thanks for that advice. I think maybe more cardinals is the way for now. I can't get hold of green neons at the minute.

Re: the fighter. He seems perfectly happy with the tetra, and vice versa. He never bothers with anything in the tank and he always gets left well alone. He's more bothered with what I do outside the tank and what's on TV! lol

I'm not sure if there is another name for the plecs, I may be mstaken. But they have both developed the bristles on the face, and are only around 1.5" long. My LFS advised them to me as a small plec, and they are very knowledgeable and well respected. I'll try and get a pic of the plecs on here so someone can advise on breed.

BTW tank is 30" x 12" x 15"
 

Most reactions

Back
Top