stocking query take 2.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Aylana

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, the tank I have ended up with is somewhat smaller than I had thought. It is 15 uk gallons and 18 us gallons. So I have had to rethink my original stocking plan.

So now I am thinking

5 harlequin rasboras and 1 bristlenose plec.

How does this sound? Am I pushing it? I have a really good filter, it is merely the size of the tank that is the problem. I definately can't get a bigger tank until I can convince my boyfriend that he doesn't hate fish :/

Aylana

As long as you don't use the harlequins to cycle the tank as they need conditions perfect as they are not a hardy fish, great choice the harlequins you could get more as they look great when they shoal, a lovely sociable fish.

Deffinately get more harlequins if they, and the bristlenose, are all you want. Your tank should have plenty of space for 2-3 more. :)

Thanks for the advice guys. Now I just have to wait for the tank to cycle, which seems to take forever when you are itching to buy fish!

Aylana

Yay! A Bristlenose plec! What colour you getting? I reccomend the golden/yellow ones. You have room for.........2 more harlis and depending on your filtration probably other stuff too! You think you got it hard! My mate wont drive me to the best lfs around till feb! No fish for me till march! Im getting 1 BN plec, 2 cherry barbs, 5 lemon tetra, 2 panda cories. My tanks going to be roughly 17us gallons. Enjoy the hobby!
Chris

Not sure what colour I'm getting yet I want to have a good look at them in the LFS and see which ones appeal to me when I see them face to face. I'd like one that looks like its got a bit of character and preferably a male with lots of bristles! I will definately be getting another couple of harlis now I know that I have room to, I think they are gorgeous fish! When cranked up to full my filter is good enough for a tank twice the size of mine apparantly, so one day I would like a couple of sparkling gouramis but that can wait until I see how it goes with the BN and Harlis.

March!? That is a long time to wait. Can't you bribe them to take you earlier? I would!

Aylana

No its my after exam treat, ill get the tank by february, cycling takes up to a month(actually i am getting some mature plats gravel and filter media so) hmm might be quicker! Ive been advised against the pandas by the guys at wharf (due to them not likeing nottinghamshire water) so im getting two more cherry barbs instead. I can wait to get them, my friends got 3 puffer tanks, but its the community tank that ive sat and watched for hours. Facinating. Unfortunatly im off to uni in september, otherwise id have my second tank too. (24" 18" 15" 7 Harlequins, 5 rainbow fish, some cories. After uni, i see my house being an aquarium lol!)

Ah, good luck with your exams then!

If I had my way I would have a fish tank in every room of the house! For now though I am just concentrating on getting things ready for my first fish and keeping them alive!! I'm doing shedloads of research cos I am scared I will get things wrong!

Aylana

Most reactions

Back