Stocking new tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dred

Reaction score
Hi all! (Dred's wife here)
Just finished cycling with fish (only found out afterwards that we could cycle without!), we have just introduced a few more friends for our three black widows, they include 5 more black widows, two speckled corys and a spotted plec.

Having done some more reading on this site, I understand that the corys like company, should we buy some more in a few weeks? If so, how many would you recommend.

Also understand that sucky our plec would like some friends, again how many (how big will they get?!!).

We have a 30 x 12 x 15 (23 gallon) tank with UDF, two power heads and an internal power filter.

Our tank is a little monochrome at present and our children are crying out for an injection of coloured fish.

We don't want to overstock as we understand that we can only have approx 30" of mature fish.

Any help and advise would be much appreciated.
I have already fallen in love with the corys, they are so cute! :wub:

You could gte just one more or make it an even six. You could get corydoras of different types, such as panda and albino, or the like, for variety.

Not sure about the max length of the plecs. As for them needing company, it's my understanding that suckermouths are actually more likely to be territorial than social...

Just a precaution-- you are feeding the cats algae discs or thelike, right?

And you added more widows. Nice. :thumbs:

Hi Tempestuousfury
thanks for the quick response, I was just about to log off and didn't expect anyone to be about!

Yes I have algae flakes for the plec and pellets for the corys.

How soon can I add more fish, should I leave it a couple of weeks, bearing in mind it has just finished cycling. I am continuing to check ammonia and nitrite levels daily and doing water changes when necessary to keep a check on things.

If you try and purchase yourself a good aquarium book, the information in there should hopefully help you with stocking.

Otherwise internet sources may be beneficial

Most reactions

Back