Stocking Level

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Shark Boy

Reaction score
I haven't bought any fish for my main tank for quite a few weeks now, due to one reason or another. But this weekend I'm thinking of picking up some more stuff (What I already have in the tank is in my sig).

I'm leaning towards getting a small-ish school of cherry barbs, about 6 most likely, and then in a couple weeks maybe get a plec of some kind (So many to choose from!), but probably one that gets no bigger than 5-6".

Anyway, I'd like a general opinion on how close to my stocking limit I am. I've seen several different 'general rules' on this and so I'm not sure exactly what to go by. If I get the above, will I be within my limit still?

I'd say you were ok to add more, except you have both the Rainbow Shark and the striped Raphael cat. Both of them get better than 6" and are territorial. They may cause some problems, particularly with one another as they mature. If you can find an alternate home for one of them, you'd have more stocking options.

I would positively not get another bottom dweller (plec). The two you have are going to want every inch of the bottom of your tank in the long run.

If your filtration and maintenance are very solid, you could probably have some cherry barbs, though you don't need 6. 1 male and 2 or 3 females would do fine. If you want more than one male, make sure you provide lots of plant or wood for cover. Though with your current fish, you should have plenty of cover anyway.

Hope that helps... :thumbs:

It's funny you mention the Shark and the Raphael Cat. The shark will chase everything else in the tank except the cat. As they're nocturnal, it spends most of the daylight hours inside a fake rock ring ornament in the tank. From time to time the shark will go inside too and just sit next to it. Exactly what this is, I have no idea. :dunno:

you might want to reconsider the SAEs as they can get big and aggressive and, as the get bigger, will stop eating algae and move on to eating your actual fish :crazy:

-cAtFiSh- said:
you might want to reconsider the SAEs as they can get big and aggressive and, as the get bigger, will stop eating algae and move on to eating your actual fish :crazy:
True SAEs should be fine, as far as I'm aware. It's the fish that look very similar to them, or the CAE that are suposed to be aggressive.

Yes, SAE, true SAE, even flying foxes are generaly quite peaceful with other fish (except red tailed black sharks which chase them around non-stop :p had to move several because of such problems - don't ask -_- ) but CAE, chinese algae eaters, are not algae eaters any more once mature (plus they're not from china or loaches like their alternate 'chinese sucking loach' name suggests) and they become increasingly territorial and aggressive (and large) and will begin to suck on fish (most people believe they feed off other fish's slime coats and they often remove eyes as well - *yuck*). I personaly think these fish should not be sold as readily as 'typical' aquarium fish but most aquatics shops seem to disagree...

Most reactions

Back