Stocking In 50 Liter Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishypps

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hullo... i have a 50 liter tank, in it i have 10 neons, 4 guppies (which i would love to rehome!!) and a Panda/rainbow garra. The garra is mainly on the bottom but does like playing in the water flow, the neons tend to stay low ish-middle and the guppies stay in the middle. My question is, do you think i could have any more fishies? If so, what sort of thing would i be looking at getting? x

I would say that you are already fully stocked there. I don't know much about garras, but I do think they need a larger tank. Seriouslyfish.com, which is usually a good site, recommends that they are kept in groups of 3-4 too. If I were you, I'd rehome him and just have the neons and guppies. Some LFS will take in unwanted fish and if that failed, I'm sure there'd be someone on here who would be willing to take him.
Just thought I'd add that the reason he will enjoy playing in the water flow is because their natural habitats are streams which tend to have fairly fast flowing water :good:

Hullo... i have read various sites and info about panda garra and it all varies but what i have deduced from most websites is that they vary between 6 and 9cm in size so not particularly large, also that they become territorial when kept in groups so best kept alone. I hate the amount that information varies :\ lol. However, he is a healthy, happy looking fella at the moment and a his antics make my tank a much brighter place! If i ever feel that he is unhappy, unhealthy or too big for the tank, rest assured i will do best by him and find him a new home, or even a bigger tank! lol :)

I would say that you are already fully stocked there. I don't know much about garras, but I do think they need a larger tank. Seriouslyfish.com, which is usually a good site, recommends that they are kept in groups of 3-4 too. If I were you, I'd rehome him and just have the neons and guppies. Some LFS will take in unwanted fish and if that failed, I'm sure there'd be someone on here who would be willing to take him.
Just thought I'd add that the reason he will enjoy playing in the water flow is because their natural habitats are streams which tend to have fairly fast flowing water :good:

+1 its best to rehome him.

How do I go about finding a new home.for hm? I don't want to take him back to lfs as he might end up somewhere as unsuitable or worse. Also, what other algae eater would you recommend? I can't find anything other than a snail which I don't want!

How do I go about finding a new home.for hm? I don't want to take him back to lfs as he might end up somewhere as unsuitable or worse. Also, what other algae eater would you recommend? I can't find anything other than a snail which I don't want!

You could try Otocinclus Catfish if your tank has been established for awhile, like 4 to 6 mont6hs at least. You could add 4 to 6 Otos in that size tank.

Tank has been established for about a year though 3 months in my home but only lost/changed 50% water when we moved it here. 4-6 oto's even though there are 10 neons and 4 guppies?!

Instead of the garra perhaps a honey gourami? I cant guess dimensions from litres but a 2x1x1 is large enough for a honey gourami, or a M/F pair (two males would be aggressive).

havent the gouramis got a bit of a rep for killing other fish? Would i be able to choose another type of gourami? I am looking for algae eaters really... not sure about otocinclus catfish though! lol

No, the honeys should be fine - here's the seriouslyfish description: 'Ideal for a community containing other small, peaceful species. While the males are territorial, they are much less so than in C. lalia , and several can be maintained in a relatively small aquarium. They do become more aggressive when spawning, however.'

If you wanted another color try the red robin gouramis, same thing, just red :)

As for the oto's, they should be fine as a trio or more, just ensure they can't get up a filter intake or anything whilst juvenile.

Ok, not sure what to do with my baby Garra though :( *sadface*

The garra should do fine for now while he's small, it's your tank so keep him if you want just be prepared for potential consequences. As for rehoming him most LFS's should take him and if not just put an advert in the classifieds on this website, I'm sure somebody will have a good home for him :)

I'm not keen on sending him back to an LFS as he might get somewhere unsuitable again and i dont want that... i have grown quite attached! I'm scouring the web for a cheap/free tank now to accomodate him lol

havent the gouramis got a bit of a rep for killing other fish? Would i be able to choose another type of gourami? I am looking for algae eaters really... not sure about otocinclus catfish though! lol

My son has 4 Otos in a 20 gallon with 14 Neons a female Molly & a Kuhli Loach. I have a Bristlenose Pleco female in my 36 gallon that I never see at all. I assume she's still alive but I haven't actually seen her in about a week. I can usually find at least 3 out of the 4 Otos at any given time.

I have decided to keep my garra, he is happy in the tank, i'm going to plant it up and buy a hide for him, IF I see any signs of distress, disease or aggression I have found a family willing to adopt him and I will without hesitation move him!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back