Stocking Ideas For A 58.6 Us Gallon Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

D34DLY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have ordered a custom-made fish tank (2.4 foot), and would like some ideas of what fish I could stick in there? Please consider top, middle and bottom fish to fill it all out nicely.

I already have 6 Celestial Pearl Danios in my other tank which are coming over, so these will have to be compatible. Any suggestions?

That's a mighty big tank, but having the CPDs will mean that you will need to stock it with some small fish. Personally, I am a fan of large numbers of small fish shoals.

Other top fish would be: Trigonostigma hengeli or T. espei (I prefer the espei)
Middle fish: Neon tetra (I wouldn't go cardinals as they get a little larger) - glowlight tetra
Bottom fish: Panda cories are very nice, as are Corydoras hastatus or C. habrosus
You can also add some otocinclus, which grow to about 2".
Several varieties of the smaller plecos would be fine as well, as they pretty much ignore the other fish.

If it were me, I'd up the CPDs numbers to about 10, add 10-12 T. espei, 10-12 Panda cories, and maybe mix in a few sparking gourami (the smallest of the gouramis). BTW, the cories will appreciate a substrate that is small and easily moved, like sand. They will dig in the substrate and sand is a perfect choice for them.

That's a mighty big tank, but having the CPDs will mean that you will need to stock it with some small fish. Personally, I am a fan of large numbers of small fish shoals.

Other top fish would be: Trigonostigma hengeli or T. espei (I prefer the espei)
Middle fish: Neon tetra (I wouldn't go cardinals as they get a little larger)
Bottom fish: Panda cories are very nice, as are Corydoras hastatus or C. habrosus

If it were me, I'd up the CPDs numbers to about 10, add 10-12 T. espei, 10-12 Panda cories, and maybe mix in a few sparking gourami (the smallest of the gouramis). BTW, the cories will appreciate a substrate that is small and easily moved, like sand. They will dig in the substrate and sand is a perfect choice for them.

Could you perhaps suggest some larger fish too? I wouldn't like to have a large tank where people have to look closely for the fish...

Honestly, if you are putting the CPDs in the tank, they don't go well with larger fish.

I will add though that if you put in good numbers for the fish, seeing them won't be an issue at all. Shoals of big numbers of small fish can be quite striking, even in a large tank.

My tank is 56 gallons, and my fish are: neon tetras, Trigonostigma heteromorpha, glofish (genetically altered zebra danios), panda cories, and a BN pleco. My tank's dimensions are very similar to yours, being a little longer than yours at 30 inches.

I'm also starting up a 110 gallon tank, and we are going to be putting in similar sized fish in that tank, but in much larger numbers.

If you really want bigger fish, like 3 inches or so, you'll need to find a different spot for the CPDs, in my opinion.

Why can't they stay where they are now?

Because the new tank is replacing the one they're in now. No other place for it/them to go.

I see... That limits your options then. They are a great little fish. You might be surprised at how striking a large number of small fish would be in that tank. The other fish I mentioned are ones that generally hang out together tightly, which makes "finding" them extremely easy. As I said, my tank is almost identical to your new one... The fish I suggested are fish I've kept, or nearly the same, in that tank. Bright colors, tight schooling, and small/peaceful enough to coexist with the CPDs.

I see... That limits your options then. They are a great little fish. You might be surprised at how striking a large number of small fish would be in that tank. The other fish I mentioned are ones that generally hang out together tightly, which makes "finding" them extremely easy. As I said, my tank is almost identical to your new one... The fish I suggested are fish I've kept, or nearly the same, in that tank. Bright colors, tight schooling, and small/peaceful enough to coexist with the CPDs.

Ok.. So say about the following:

10x CPD
6x Khuli Loach
2x BN Pleco

What other community fish could I add? I understand what you're getting at... but I was still looking for a centerpiece. Perhaps a drawf gourami or two? Feel free to adapt.

I'd stick to one BN pleco in that tank, and I'd wait to get it until you actually have a bit of algae for it to eat, and have added some wood. They need the wood for proper digestion. My BN hangs out under a piece of wood sitting on the substrate in a cave it excavated itself.

You would have need of some midswimmers.

Neon tetra
keep-neon-tetras-800x800.jpg

glowlight tetra
Tetra_Glowlight_cropped.jpg

Trigonostigma espei

Trigonostigma_espei.jpg

Trigonostigma hengeli

Trigonostigma_hengeli_1.jpg

Trigonostigma heteromorpha (Harlequin rasbora)
Harlequin_rasbora.jpg

How about:

10x Celestial Pearl Danio
5x Dwarf Gourami
10x Otocinclus Vestitus
5x Khuli Loaches
1x Bristlenose Pleco
10x Neon Tetra
10x Glowlight Tetra

Which of these occupy the top of the tank? I believe this is a nice set-up personally, and have had an all clear with FishForums.net.com What do you think? Apparently I have room for a few more... Suggestions?

1 dwarf gourami would be the max. They get very territorial and if you get two males (probable) they will be sparring, and that's not something you want.

I'd also go with either otos or a BN, they would be competing with each other for algae in the tank. And 10 otos is a lot. I'd probably limit it to 6.

Honestly, I'd take my time adding all these fish and just build it up slowly. These fish should be added over a period of like 3-6 months. 3 would be an aggressive stocking plan, and 6 months would be a more conservative plan.

First, I'd take all the water out of the current tank and put it into the new one. This will give your CPDs less stress with the move. The water chemistry will be identical. Also, I'd up the number and size of water changes for a week before you make the move. This will make the water in the tank as close as possible to the tap water, keeping acclimation stress to the new environment as small as possible. Btw, just take all the media from your current filter to add to the new one and you can move your CPDs over without a concern. Give it a few days to make sure that everything is going well - then add the extra CPDs. Let all that settle in for a week or so

Next, I think I'd add the glowlight tetras. Give it a month.

Then add the neons or the BN/otos (you'll probably have some algae by then, even if its minor). Give it another month, etc.

The only thing I have no experience with is the khuli loaches with a BN. I'm not sure how they get along.

1 dwarf gourami would be the max. They get very territorial and if you get two males (probable) they will be sparring, and that's not something you want.

I'd also go with either otos or a BN, they would be competing with each other for algae in the tank. And 10 otos is a lot. I'd probably limit it to 6.

Honestly, I'd take my time adding all these fish and just build it up slowly. These fish should be added over a period of like 3-6 months. 3 would be an aggressive stocking plan, and 6 months would be a more conservative plan.

First, I'd take all the water out of the current tank and put it into the new one. This will give your CPDs less stress with the move. The water chemistry will be identical. Also, I'd up the number and size of water changes for a week before you make the move. This will make the water in the tank as close as possible to the tap water, keeping acclimation stress to the new environment as small as possible. Btw, just take all the media from your current filter to add to the new one and you can move your CPDs over without a concern. Give it a few days to make sure that everything is going well - then add the extra CPDs. Let all that settle in for a week or so

Then add the neons or the BN/otos (you'll probably have some algae by then, even if its minor). Give it another month, etc.

The only thing I have no experience with is the khuli loaches with a BN. I'm not sure how they get along.

I noticed they were both algae eaters, so glad you picked this up too. I also understand about slowly adding the fish, have done it before.

So how about this?:
15x Celestial Pearl Danio
1x Dwarf Gourami
5x Khuli Loaches
1x Bristlenose Pleco
15x Neon Tetra
15x Glowlight Tetra

I believe this adds plenty more space? 20% space is still available according to FishForums.net

I noticed they were both algae eaters, so glad you picked this up too. I also understand about slowly adding the fish, have done it before.

So how about this?:
15x Celestial Pearl Danio
1x Dwarf Gourami
5x Khuli Loaches
1x Bristlenose Pleco
15x Neon Tetra
15x Glowlight Tetra

I believe this adds plenty more space? 20% space is still available according to FishForums.net

Due to the large shoals of fish, someone has suggested that a Convict would go nicely in there. However, what would you say?

I'm not a fan of mixing any cichlids with small community fish, unless you are talking about an apistogramma or a similar dwarf cichlid. I'm not sure who suggested a convict would go well with this group of fish, but count me squarely against it. Convicts grow up to 5 or 6 inches... your smaller fish, like the CPDs would be an easy snack and many of the others would be harassed unmercifully. If you want cichlids, generally, you are far better off keeping them with other cichlids of similar size.

Dicrossus sp. and Taeniacara candidi are a few cichlids that I've recently seen suggested as suitable with a community, but the water conditions are a concern. They require very soft acidic water. I'm not sure what your water parameters are.

You keep referencing how much space is available in the tank according to a specific website. If you haven't noticed, it keeps being replaced by "fishforums.net". Generally that site is unreliable in some of its statements. Its a nice place to get a general sense of things, but not one that I would swear by, by any means. The admin here have blocked it from being typed out here.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back