Stocking Ideas For A 40 Litre Shrimp Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Currently doing a fishless cycle on a little 40ltr tank with the intention of putting in some cherry shrimps or similar. Would also like to put in some other stock maybe some galaxy rasbora or chilli rasbora, what do you all think? I assume these will be suitable for the tank and if so what sort of numbers would be good and could I mix them eg 5 galaxy and 5 chilli?

I kept, at one stage, 14 Chilli Rasbora in the 30L a couple of years ago...although i never mixed them with the Galaxy, their colours really did come out more vivid the more i added....but as you have mentioned, i couldn't find them for less than 3 for £10 !!!! Fish n Things in Skewen have recently had a load of Galaxy in, i phone him weekly looking for Chilli, but they go within hours !!!
Again, with shrimp ,is the cost. I once bought a dozen for about £8 from a buyer on Ebay, all arrived well and thrived...have you checked anyone on here selling them? There was a lad in Swansea i believe..!? I have also had C.R.S..but they turned out to be nothing but a midnight snack for my Golden Rams, but beautiful all the same!

Terry.

Had a quick look but I don't think anyone selling at the moment. I don't think I really want cherry tbh, wouldn't mind some C.R.S would love some red or blue rili maybe but pretty expensive! I think I'll probably stock up with some galaxy or/and chilli to start with and then keep an eye out for some nice shrimp. I'd love to breed the shrimp, you never know maybe make a couple of quid (to subsidies my other hobbies!!!). Hopefully someone on here has experience of the above mentioned rasbora and can comment on whether they will co-exist? Maybe 6 of each? most of the LFS will probably say yes they'll be ok just to sell them to you! 

Skewen looking A LOT better these days TA but they still come out with some daft information. I was talking to him the son the other day and he recons he kept 6 sterbai corys in a 40 litre tank! I thought that's not a good idea!!

Just need to get this fishless cycle done. I would have thought it would be completed by now (on day 20) as there's around 60% mature media in the filter. I'm wondering if I should have just put mature sponge in the little filter instead of mature sponge and ceramic?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back