Stocking help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lefky

Reaction score
Currently in my 20g tank I have 1 angelfish, 4 cory catfish, 4 neon tetras and 1 hatchetfish. They are in a lightly decorated aquarium at around 80F (trying my best to lower to 76-78 as its hard since I live in the desert). I am going to add some live plants this weekend and giving them root tabs and buying easy plants to take care of and maintain. I am unable to find a place to rehouse my angelfish and I do not have room for a larger tank. The water levels is on the pic below. I have good filtration having it run 2 weeks before any fish were added. I have had all the fish for a little over a month and currently in a bacterial bloom with milky water. I am doing around 35% water changes weekly. I was thinking of adding 4 more neon tetras, 3-5 more hatchets, small gourami that I have not picked out yet (most likely neon or powder blue), and maybe 1-2 more corys. I was not sure what to add to make sure the tank is not overstocked and all the fish are healthy and happy. I fees them 1-2 times a day with a pinch of flakes and a couple sinking carnivore pellets daily for the catfish. I would love to hear everyones suggestions and opinions about the tank plants and stocking as the main fish I want to add is a gourami. Thank you! Ps. I am looking into buying a fluval aquasky light over the tank adding a netting over the top for the hatchets. It has LED lights with 18 watts.

Attachments

• 26675276-4622-4CC0-8648-E41F08649E45.jpeg
    26675276-4622-4CC0-8648-E41F08649E45.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 7BE99829-96C6-41DE-9AB9-997BE7C16B82.png
    7BE99829-96C6-41DE-9AB9-997BE7C16B82.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 154
Once your angel is large enough, your neons are in danger of being eaten. Angels are very aggressive and have large appetites. Small size fish like neons are tasty treats for large angelfish.

Last edited:
Hatchetfish are tetras, and like all tetras they are only comfortable in schools of more than 6, 6 is the minimum. By keeping a single one, it will not be happy and it'll be stressed, more prone to disease and illness, and will most likely have a shorter lifespan than if it was in a group.

I'd say just get 2 more neons and bulk the hatchetfish numbers up to 6.

I agree with increasing numbers of the tetras and hatchetfish so they will be healthier and less stressed, but first you have to resolve the serious issues here.

1. Angelfish...this fish must have more space and soon. It will (or should if in the proper space) attain 6 inches in length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches. If a larger tank (40-50 gallons with the height especially important) is not a certainty, then re-home it now while it is still young and unsettled. Later the fish will have more difficulty.

2. Hatchetfish...what species? A 20g is not sufficient space for the species in the genera Gasteropelecus or Thoracocharax. The smaller species in Carnegiella could manage in a 20g. They need a group of 7 or 8 minimum, but first determine which species as this could be trouble down the road.

3. The neons will be fine with more, though given your warm temperature issue the cardinal tetra would be a much better option.

4. Gourami...there is no space for a gourami if you increase the tetras and hatchets. If you get rid of the angelfish, and hatchets, a Honey gourami would work.

I agree with increasing numbers of the tetras and hatchetfish so they will be healthier and less stressed, but first you have to resolve the serious issues here.

1. Angelfish...this fish must have more space and soon. It will (or should if in the proper space) attain 6 inches in length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches. If a larger tank (40-50 gallons with the height especially important) is not a certainty, then re-home it now while it is still young and unsettled. Later the fish will have more difficulty.

2. Hatchetfish...what species? A 20g is not sufficient space for the species in the genera Gasteropelecus or Thoracocharax. The smaller species in Carnegiella could manage in a 20g. They need a group of 7 or 8 minimum, but first determine which species as this could be trouble down the road.

3. The neons will be fine with more, though given your warm temperature issue the cardinal tetra would be a much better option.

4. Gourami...there is no space for a gourami if you increase the tetras and hatchets. If you get rid of the angelfish, and hatchets, a Honey gourami would work.
I cant find another home for the angel although I am calling more places later today, the hatchetfish are carnegiella.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back