Stocking Help Please - 20g

Tropical_Fish

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
423
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Staffordshire
I've got a 20 gallon fully cycled tank, with high filtration (it's a 1000L/hour External Filter)

I currently have 5 male guppies in the tank. I would like to get some more fish but everything I think of have has a reason not to!

I would like something for the bottom of the tank, but I have been told my smooth gravel isn't suitable for panda corys, or similar.

I would also like some slightly different fish for the mid top section as it looks so empty at the moment with my 5 little males!

I was thinking maybe 3 mickey mouse platies - would they be ok with my guppies?

Any suggestions for the bottom would be great though.
 
Platies would be absolutely fine with the guppies but as with the guppies, I would suggest all same sex platies.

If your gravel is smooth it should be better for corys, less chance of them damaging their barbels. Sterbai corys are stunning.

Andy
 
This is a picture of my tank - a few people have seen it an commented on how the gravel wouldn't be suitable - what do you think?

tank.jpg
 
Too much gravel IMO
 
How much gravel should there be?

It looks deeper than it is on that photo due to it moving about when I tipped the water in.

What's the probelm with having too much?


Thanks for the advice!
 
It does seem that you have a lot of gravel which will also be slightly lowering the amount of water you fit in the tank.

Is changing to sand not an option?

Andy
 
Nice tank :good: ,the more gravel you got the less room for fishes swimming area:)

I'm still learning about stocking myself so i can't really help you there,although i've just upgraded from a 20 gal like yours,i had platies in there,they move all over the place :rolleyes: has do the harlequins!
 
what depth of gravel should I be aiming for?

I don't like sand - not keen on the looks and don't like the thought of it in the filter
 
I'd say 1 inch max on the height of gravel...

Part of it is just that it looks terribly ugly when you've got a real high gravel line. The other thing is, like they said, the more gravel the less space for fishies.

I have perhaps half an inch of sand, just enough to keep the glass covered all over... I really think that looks best and is plenty for my corys...

If your gravel is fine and smooth then it'd be fine for corys. I even have some rough-ish rocks in there (nothing sharp) and the corys dont mind.
 
The gravel is smooth but I'm not sure it is 'fine' it's more a medium size.

If I even it all out it's just over an inch deep, it was just when I tipped the water in before that photo that it disturbed it and made it thicker in some parts - the bit at the back behind the bog wood is very thin at the moment
 

Most reactions

Back
Top