Stocking for a 78 Gallon Tank (350L)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishyfish890

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Getting a big brand new tank in January and obviously I'm thinking ahead here. Before I list my proposed ideas (and I would really value any advice whether it's good or not), just bear in mind I've quickly thought this up and it should not be overstocked (considering its 5ft long and 350L):

X1 Brittlenose Pleco
X2 Bolivian Rams
X7 Boesemani rainbow fish
X6 red rainbow fish

Also yes I'm well aware of their habit needs (especially for the rams), so don't worry I've already got that sorted for when I get it. Anything I could have instead of the red rainbow fish would be great, that is a medium sized species (i.e. not a guppy, Molly etc.) would be cool too!

Many thanks everyone and no there will be few live plants FYI.

The main problem with your list is that Bolivian rams need water with hardness 1 to 10 dH while the rainbows need hardness 10 to 20 dH. If you have both in the same tank, one or other will suffer.

Before deciding which fish to keep, the first thing to do is find out the hardness of your tap water. Look on your water company's website and see if they give your hardness. If you can't find it, tell us the name of the company and we'll see if we can find it. You need a number and the unit - I see you are in GB, and British water companies sometimes use rather odd units!

The main problem with your list is that Bolivian rams need water with hardness 1 to 10 dH while the rainbows need hardness 10 to 20 dH. If you have both in the same tank, one or other will suffer.

Before deciding which fish to keep, the first thing to do is find out the hardness of your tap water. Look on your water company's website and see if they give your hardness. If you can't find it, tell us the name of the company and we'll see if we can find it. You need a number and the unit - I see you are in GB, and British water companies sometimes use rather odd units!

:( Like I said literally I just came up with this composition last night, when I had more time this weekend I was gonna make a spreadsheet of all the conditions necessary for each fish, so I would've found out this myself. Yes the water is pretty hard here. I would say around 15 dH. My question is you said "main problem". Are there others? Considering the rams are no longer a thing, the rainbows will be fine and happy. I'm positive the Pleco won't bother them/will be happy as well. So if I can't do rams are there any other kinda medium sized fish (similar sized to the rainbows) I could put in there with them? Or should it just be a rainbow fish aquarium?

The only thing I am unsure of is how the two rainbowfish species will interact. Having soft water I am not well informed on hard water species, I'm afraid :oops:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back