Stocking Better Now?

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
I have been told with my 3 angelfish, my stocking is a bit loaded. However, I found someone who wants my third angel. So, after it is gone, will my stocking be perfect? I'm running a Whisper 30 and soon a Aquaclear 30, so plenty of filtration.
 
It sounds a bit loaded to me, I'm not sure how reliable it is but if you go by the 1" of fish per gallon rule you're a bit over. I suppose it's possible to add fish but it just seems overstocked a bit to me. I personally wouldn't add any more fish after you sell your third angle, but that's just me.
 
I wasnt planning on adding more. Just confirming that I am in no rush to unload any more.
 
in my opinion, you're well over with the two angels, but if you're having two filters, than i guess it could help... though it'd still probably be best to either get rid of them, or at least the harlequins if you don't want to part with the angels
also, it would have been better to get an aquaclear 50, even though it says the aquaclear 30 it's for... what is it, 10 or 15-30 gallons or something?...
either way, you should try and get the best filtration possible if you're going to keep so many fish
 
I could be wrong here, (so wait for others to comment), but I don't think the 1" / gallon rule works for 'non-fish-shaped-fish'. That is if the fish has a particularly deep, or wide body in comparison to it's length. I'd think that Angels would come into this 'rule breaker' catagory, and therefore need more than 1 gallon for each inch...
 
If we are simply taking the rule into consideration for waste products, then its probably about right. roughly the bigger the fish is the more poop it makes.

I think the rule is a bit out of touch with oddly shaped species. i.e. pipefish and the like.

Maybe if the stocking is still considered to be a bit on the high side, you could reduce the feeding of your fishies a bit. Species that would naturally eat algae and plant matter would then miss out a bit on the food you feed but substitute their diet on more natural foods. e.g. the ottos would concentrate on algae, rather than algae wafers.

This would mean that you have less high impact poop (made of fish food waste) and more low impact poop (smaller, made of mostly plant matter)

I wonder if there are any "low waste" fish foods that someone could suggest.

Less poop would mean less impact on water quality per fish. (sorry to talk so much about poop!)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top