Stocking advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crimsonpython24

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 10-gallon tank. There's plenty of live plants (though I'm currently fixing the algae on it), six danios, and a bristlenose catfish (around 1 1/2 inch).

Is this understocked or overstocked? If it's understocked (which most likely it's not), can anyone recommend me some tankmates?

I couldn't take a photo right now since the lights are already off and I don't want to shock the fish.

(I used to have two more danios and two more smaller-than-one-inch bristlenose catfish, but they died when I was out of my country for six weeks)

I'm afraid it is overstocked because both those species need a bigger tank.

Danios may be small fish but they are so active that they need a tank long enough to allow them to swim, and that's at least 36 inches long.
Bristlenoses need a tank with a footprint (floor space) of at least 24 x 12 inches.

Is there any chance that you could buy a bigger tank?

There are lots of fish suitable for 10 gallon tanks, but unfortunately danios and plecs, even bristlenoses, are not among them.

@Essjay sorry but I don't think so as my table's mostly full and I don't have additional spaces for a new one. The base is 21.5 by 11 inches (the area inside the glass) so I don't hope it's too bad.

There are lots of fish suitable for 10 gallon tanks, but unfortunately danios and plecs, even bristlenoses, are not among them.
What will be some, then?

The first thing is that the bristlenose isn't a bristlenose it's a hillstream loach - for other readers, see the photos in this thread

If you can rehome the danios and loaches, suitable fish depend on the hardness of your water.

Soft water fish:
a single betta
or ember tetras, a big shoal
or one of the Boraras species eg chili rasboras - again a big shoal

Hard water:
endlers, males only as females have too many fry for 10 gallons
Hara jerdoni (stone catfish)

Other members will know of more fish suitable for 10 gallons

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back