Stocking Advice

LellowFish

Fishaholic
Joined
Oct 17, 2008
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Right, I have a 66 litre/15 Imp. Gallon/17 US Gallon tank and a nice selection of fish from my LPS.

The store has these fish (long list I know):

Zebra Danio
Leopard Danio
Cherry Barb
Tiger Barb
Scissortail Rasbora
Red Eye Tetra
Rummy Nose Tetra
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Black Widow Tetra
Neon Tetra
Emperor Tetra
Penguin Tetra (?)
Platy
Guppy
Swordtail
Molly

I was wondering which combinations of these fish would work well in my tank...Any help, good or bad, is appreciated!
 
Zebra Danio no tank not big enough IMO
Leopard Danio as above
Cherry Barb aggressive fin nippers , but a species tank would work
Tiger Barb to big
Scissortail Rasbora good beginners fish about 10 with a centre peice?
Red Eye Tetra unsure
Rummy Nose Tetra no not in a new setup
Bleeding Heart Tetra unsure
black widow tetras yes about 8
Neon Tetra see rummy nose tetra
Emperor Tetra unsure
Penguin Tetra yes about 8
Platy god for beginners but could breed rapidly (not a good thing in a tank that size)
Guppy as above
Swordtailas above
Molly as above


all answers in bold
 
The tank is used and I will be using mature filter media if that helps? Sorry I never mentioned that. I just realised when you said "not in a new setup"
 
From that list, my opinion would be, cherry barbs, rasboras and platies and neons.

Personally I think danios need a larger tank, although small fish,they swim around like madmen and require more space.

Tiger barbs get too large and again need more swimming space.
The bleeding hearts and black widow tetra again (IMO) too large for the tank, red eyes and rummy's possibly be ok as well as penguin and emperors. Guppies will breed like rabbits, unless you ensure you get just males, even if you get just females, they can carry sperm for up to 9months (I think) so can still re-produce.

Swordtails probably ok as well as mollies, just I dont like them :P
 
I pretty much agree with truck and minx. I do think most tetras would be ok in a 17 gallon tank, depending on the tank dimensions (surface area in particular). I know neons have the reputation of not being very hardy but according to the owner of a fish store near me, the ones they are getting now have no problems at all.

If you do get liverbearers, I would suggest going all males so as to prevent fry. And as minx mentioned, going all female doesn't assure you of no fry. If you choose mollies, go with all mollies as they really need a brackish tank or at the very least some salt.
 
At 24" long that's not really enough swimming room for the really active fish such as danios. A nice school of neons would work great. i'm just not certain how hardy the neons are over there and how well they would do in a newly set up tank (even with a mature filter).
 
Hmm...So maybe a school of neons and maybe some guppies? I'm sorry for sounding like such a newbie.

One more question...How many full grown neons and guppies would be comfortable in the tank?
 
For starters, I would keep it at about 10 until the tank has had time to mature a little. Once it's matured, you could easily keep 20 neons in it with proper filtration and a good maintenance schedule.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top