Stocking 65l aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bettaguy23

Reaction score
I have a 65l planted tank currently stocked with 6 cardinal tetras, 6 orange eye lemon tetra and a panda gara. Do you think Iā€™m fully stocked or is there any room for more? Itā€™s been running for well over a year and Iā€™ve had no problems so far

I was thinking about a dwarf gourami or maybe a killifish.
thanks

I have a 65l planted tank currently stocked with 6 cardinal tetras, 6 orange eye lemon tetra and a panda gara. Do you think Iā€™m fully stocked or is there any room for more? Itā€™s been running for well over a year and Iā€™ve had no problems so far

I was thinking about a dwarf gourami or maybe a killifish.
thanks
First of all we need to know your water parameters, if it is running fine then we just need to know your GH (general hardness).

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s soft, at about 45mg/l
Your water is quite soft/ medium. Dwarf gouramis will be fine in this water, but they are extremely sensitive to fluctuations in pH and GH. Make sure you acclimate your fish well to your water (I suggest drip acclimating if possible). Use this link if you are unsure-

Okay thanks a lot. Would you recommend 1 or a pair, and would this mean my tank is fully stocked

Be careful with dwarf gouramis. They are commonly infected with an incurable disease by the time they arrive in shops. Never buy one from a tank which contains iffy looking gouramis. Never buy one from a tank that contains dead gouramis.

Or look at honey gouramis instead.

Be careful with dwarf gouramis. They are commonly infected with an incurable disease by the time they arrive in shops. Never buy one from a tank which contains iffy looking gouramis. Never buy one from a tank that contains dead gouramis.

Or look at honey gouramis instead.
Are honey gouramis and dwarf gouramis not the same? I was thinking of a honey gourami anyway, would it be better to get 1 or 2

No they are not the same, they are different species. Some shops label honeys as honey dwarfs (or dwarf honeys) but that's just the name that shop chooses.

Honey gouramis are Trichogaster chuna https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-chuna/
Dwarf gouramis are Trichogaster lalius https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-lalius/

Honey gouramis can be kept as a pair. Unlike some other gourami species, male honeys are not very aggressive towards females if they want to spawn.
There are three commonly available colour variants of honeys.
Natural coloured ones are the easiest to sex - males are tan coloured while females are silvery beige.
Yellow coloured ones are not quite as easy. The ones with a fair amount of orange towards the tail are more likely to be males while any with a stripe - even the hint of a stripe - from nose to tail are more likely to be female.
Red ones are the most difficult. You have to go by fine shape and keep your fingers crossed. Males tend to have longer, pointier fins than females, particularly the dorsal fin (the one on the fish's the back)

Last edited:
No they are not the same, they are different species. Some shops label honeys as honey dwarfs (or dwarf honeys) but that's just the name that shop chooses.

Honey gouramis are Trichogaster chuna https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-chuna/
Dwarf gouramis are Trichogaster lalius https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-lalius/

Honey gouramis can be kept as a pair. Unlike some other gourami species, male honeys are not very aggressive towards females if they want to spawn.
There are three commonly available colour variants of honeys.
Natural coloured ones are the easiest to sex - males are tan coloured while females are silvery beige.
Yellow coloured ones are not quite as easy. The ones with a fair amount of orange towards the tail are more likely to be males while any with a stripe - even the hint of a stripe - from nose to tail are more likely to be female.
Red ones are the most difficult. You have to go by fine shape and keep your fingers crossed. Males tend to have longer, pointier fins than females, particularly the dorsal fin (the one on the fish's the back)
Ok thanks for all the detail I appreciate it. With these 2 in my tank as well as 12 tetras and a panda gara would it my stocked to the max?

This is only a 65 liter (17 gallon) tank, and the dimensions have not been given, but assuming it is not going to be longer and wider than a basic 20g (60 cm by 30 cm) I would not add any new/different species. You could however increase the two tetras with 2-3 more of each just to add more activity.

There is also the panda gara, a fish that likes a bit of water current, which can work for the two tetras named but not for gourami. And temperature too--the existing fish can be healthy in less warm water, say 22-25C.

This is only a 65 liter (17 gallon) tank, and the dimensions have not been given, but assuming it is not going to be longer and wider than a basic 20g (60 cm by 30 cm) I would not add any new/different species. You could however increase the two tetras with 2-3 more of each just to add more activity.

There is also the panda gara, a fish that likes a bit of water current, which can work for the two tetras named but not for gourami. And temperature too--the existing fish can be healthy in less warm water, say 22-25C.
Yeah I just installed a more powerful filter and the panda gara and orange eyed lemon tetras are loving it. Thanks for your advice I think Iā€™ll leave it for now as everyone seems happy :)

Most reactions

Back