Stocking 120 Gallon Planted Medium Sized Community Tank Ideas!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
hey all,

i bet u know the drill by now.

filters 2 AC110's
ph is 7.3

must have stock.....

RTBS

optional...(fish i like)

barbs and tetras.
penguin tetra
flame tetra
lemon tetra
x ray tetra( NOT DYED) dyed fish disgusts me)
black widow tetra
glowlight tetra
black neon tetra
tiger barbs
rosy barbs
gold barb

gouramis
pearl gourami
snakeskin gourami

cichlids
agazzis cichlid
cockatoo cichlid
port acara
blue acara
keyhole
severum

corys
three lined cory
peppered cory
bronze cory

plecos.
bristle nose

knife fish
african brown kniffish

oscar( its a far chance i know :sad: :/ )
i have been keeping fish for a year and i do know about cycling

i am up for any suggestions
plz give me my suggestions lol

i would really like to have the RTBS and the oscar but i have no idea of any other fish

where do you live? I have a few of the fish you have mentioned i need to get rid of.

As for an Oscar 120g is fine, you just won't have a community tank lol.

i am going for a community tank for my next tank..... we only have space for one :sad: :sad:

will an oscar and rtbs get along? if they do what else could i do? i was thinking a pair of sevs, port acara, blue acara and maybe a pair of firemouths? might be too much thugh :/ :/ :/

Descisions, descisions......

when i get older i will definetly dedicate a whole room of my house to fish tanks. d:D d:D :kana: :hey: :hey: :D :D :) :)

im going to have this 120 for SA cichlids, a 120 for tang or mbuna cichlids a 200 saltwater reef and a 150 community!!! oh yeh alot of work ahead. and if possible ill get another 200 for the SA cichlids and use the 120 as a semi aggresive tank. or a ropefish tank.!!!!! i love thos things

so yeh..... lol

u know what? switch that

this will be a community tank and the 150 will be SA cichlids...

can a RTBS be in a community tank?

how about this for the 120 gallon. oh the substrate will be black sand.
Equipments:

Tank (LxDxH): 48 x 24 x 24 inch (119.7gUS)
Filters: Aquaclear 110, Aquaclear 110

Selected species: [Edit Species]

1 x Red Tailed Black Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor)
2 x Keyhole Cichlid (Cleithracara maronii)
10 x Gold Barb (Puntius sachsii)
10 x Rosy Barb (Puntius conchonius)
7 x Three Lined Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)
2 x Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leerii)
1 x Clown Pleco (Panaque maccus)
1 x African Knifefish (Xenomystus nigri)

does it sound good? because i think its a really good combo if its stocked just right :) :) :) :hey: :hey:

Red Tailed Black Sharks often grow up to be very spiteful and territorial fish that will bully other bottom dwellers, including cichlids. Personally, I would not risk any cory species with them, but whether the more boisterous and larger Brochis may be up to the job is a close call (but I'd still be wary, might help if the Brochis were 3" adults placed with a baby RTBS). In a similar vien, I would not risk the rather placid Keyholes with them either.

lol ^^^

Good choice on the sand. Easier to clean, looks nicer and opens up more possibilities for fish (IMO). :good:

I would suggest using a canister filter over 2 HOBs. I personally use Rena XP3 and Eheim 2217 so I do support those brands. You can, however, mix a canister filter with an HOB. I don't personally use this method but it's highly recommend. More filtration and you can separate your medias for easier and safer cleaning come maintenance time. :good:

I like to use Aq Advisor . com for the basics of compatibility. It will let you know if your fish don't mix and so far so good. I would still do further research on the fish to look at individual needs/compatibility.

with the fish your talking about i can't see how your going to manage a planted tank? they are big clumsy fish that will rip it up!

Personally i would have:

2x pearl gouramis
10x rummy nose tetras
10xcardinal tetras
6x peppered corys
6x sterbai cory's
1x bristle nose
1x L134 or L201 possibly L018 if you know your tank readings are spot on and are feeling lucky! (they are a bit hit and miss, mine was fine ) just so you have something a bit unique in the tank
2x cockatoo cichlids (m+f)
2x blue rams (m+f)
~10x amano shrimp (if very well planted, hope the gouramis dont spot them :lol:
~10x cherry (will def need loads of cover!)

How planted are you talking though? strong lights, co2 and ferts or just a bit of java fern and moss?
Also i agree on the external canister filter rather than HOB, loads better and will give you a good water turn over if your going planted.

srry tizer

will the keyholes tear up the planting? ive decided to take out the rtbs.

also i will use ferts and it will be meduimly planted in the middle and more heaveling at the sides of the tank and back

nice suggestions..... keep em coming!!!

kind of like in ur sig. ian h. except more planted near the back so people cant see the filter heater and the wall lol nice plant growth btw

hi ian h,your tank looks great,very balanced and not over done,the plants look really healthy,do you use co2 and what substrate have you used,and also what lighting are you running.?

hi.i would leave out the oscer and knife fish,these are not community spirited fish,i have seen them both together though in many tanks but both need to be of a simular size as not to cause any bullying.Oscars are brilliant pets and have loads of personality,they recognise the hand that feeds them totally given their greedy nature,but all in all these are great fish,wonderful to watch,they are the fish equivelant of over eager puppes.Happy fish keeping,kind regards-Rebaka

SORRY,just read ur list again and ralised there isnt any oscers on it...where did i get that from ????? sorry dis regard !!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back