Stock for new planted tank...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jasons007

Reaction score
Hello, I have a planted 10g tank and wanting input on the stock I have picked for this tank. All input is welcome.
Stock I have in mind
6-8 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Otocinclus
1 Dwarf Gourami

Hi, all the fish that you mentionned need a bigger tank. There are many other nice fish that can go in a 10 gallon but we would need more information on your water parameters to help you especially your GH.

GH is hardness. Look on your water provider's website to see if they give your hardness. If they do, you need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several they could use).

GH is hardness. Look on your water provider's website to see if they give your hardness. If they do, you need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several they could use).
I use spring water. My tap is way too acidic to keep the PH under control in my experience.
The site for the water inside states this. 220 mg/LCaCO3.
Hi, all the fish that you mentionned need a bigger tank. There are many other nice fish that can go in a 10 gallon but we would need more information on your water parameters to help you especially your GH.
I use a store bought spring water. My tap is way way too alkaline. I pulled this from their site just now. 220 mg/LCaCO3. My PH stays around 7.2-7.4, Temp 77-80. Tank also has CO2.

alkaline*

We need the hardness of the water you use for your tank.

If you are not using your tap water, perhaps you could take a sample of the water you are using to the fish store and ask them to test for GH. Make sure they give you a number and the unit.

The reason we ask is because fish have evolved in water with a certain hardness. If you keep soft water fish in hard water, they will get calcium deposits in their kidneys and not live as long as they should. If you keep hard water fish in soft water, they suffer calcium depletion which makes then get sick easier.
Fish small enough to be kept in a 10 gallon tank are often wild caught and these fish need hardness close to the water they come from.

If you are not using your tap water, perhaps you could take a sample of the water you are using to the fish store and ask them to test for GH. Make sure they give you a number and the unit.

The reason we ask is because fish have evolved in water with a certain hardness. If you keep soft water fish in hard water, they will get calcium deposits in their kidneys and not live as long as they should. If you keep hard water fish in soft water, they suffer calcium depletion which makes then get sick easier.
Fish small enough to be kept in a 10 gallon tank are often wild caught and these fish need hardness close to the water they come from

Fish small enough to be kept in a 10 gallon tank are often wild caught and these fish need hardness close to the water they come from.
220 mg/LCaCO3 is the number for the hardness that is stated on the info I found on the waters site.

Ah I wasn't quite sure what you meant from your post.

Fish profiles use two units, ppm and dH. Mg/l CaCO3 is the same as ppm

Your hardness is 220 ppm and 12.3 dH.
Something like male only endlers would be OK - no females are they are bigger and would have a lot of fry.

Other members will know of other fish suitable for this hardness and 10 gallons.

Ah I wasn't quite sure what you meant from your post.

Fish profiles use two units, ppm and dH. Mg/l CaCO3 is the same as ppm

Your hardness is 220 ppm and 12.3 dH.
Something like male only endlers would be OK - no females are they are bigger and would have a lot of fry.

Other members will know of other fish suitable for this hardness and 10 gallons.
What would be a good clean up/algae for this? As I do have some slow growing plants and want to keep everything clean as possible besides the normal upkeep on my end.

If you mean removing fish poop etc from the bottom of the tank, there is nothing that will clean that up except you. There should be no uneaten food to clean up unless you overfeed the fish, and again you can remove that during a water change .
Algae is normal in tanks, it's when it takes over that it makes a mess. Rather than use a creature to eat it, it is better to stop it growing too much by keeping lighting and plant fertiliser in balance. There are no algae eating fish suitable for 10 gallons, but one nerite snail would work - though these do not eat all types of algae. Nothing eats every type, and there are some types of algae that nothing will eat.

Celestial pearl danio could go well in your aquarium I think

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back