Still trying to figure out the Gravid spot

swammy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of what a gravid spot looks like on a guppy? I have had my guppies for about a month, and I know my fem's not preggie right now, but am curious of what to look for. Another question. How do I tell if my platy is preggie? She is fat as all hell, but I don't know if that is because I used to overfeed my fish. The male platy is always around her, and chasing my barb away whenever he comes near. I want BABIES!!!!!!

If your platy is really that fat, maybe you'ld better put her apart if possible...
Mine was a bit fatter than usual, and I did that to be certain, and after 3 days: 15 fry!
about the gravid spot, I think, if you search on the forum for 'pregnant' or 'gravid', in the picture part, you will find a lot of them...

Awhile back i posted what my female guppy looked like the day she was due. Here's the link: http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...opic=25750&st=0
Hope it helps, if not I can get you more closeups of my females and their gravid spots :)
I dont own platties so I can't help you there, but be patient with the fry thing.You own livebearers so your inluck of seeing lots of fry :nod:

Yeah, thx for the post, snowyangel. Yours was the first topic that came up when I used duendecillo's idea to do a search using the keyword 'gravid'. Great pics!! Thx for the help everyone!! I am still looking for a way to ensure that my platy is preggie other than her putting on a few pounds. But I am not sure there is a 'for sure' way to check. Oh well. Thanx again for all of your posts!! Have a great Day!!!

I know you want to know about guppies but here is my molly. Notice how her belly has a noticable grey area? Those are her babies lol.

If you shine a flashlight on the fish you can see if there are babies inside... at least you can with my balloon mollies.
post-22-1080355951.jpg

awesome!!! That is a cool pic. Thank you all for your help. I now have a much better understanding. Hopefully my platies will have a noticeable diff. when she gets preggie. Great pics, everyone. Love the molly, auratus.

Wooh, your balloon molly looks like she's going to explode, Auratus! :lol:

My platies never got that fat- I didn't even know she was pregant until after she had the fry!

Most reactions

Back