Steel Blue Killifish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cutecotton

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got a steel blue killifish (Fundulopanchax gardneri) in a 10G right now with some angelfish and a guppy. This was about 3 weeks ago and the other day I introduced a second guppy and everything broke loose...2 angels and a guppy have died, and the second guppy having some pretty bad nip wounds on his tail...I'm suspecting if hte killifish could be responsible for this as I've been losing fish every night!

I thought they were suppose to be pretty good community fish :crazy: any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I got a steel blue killifish (Fundulopanchax gardneri) in a 10G right now with some angelfish and a guppy. This was about 3 weeks ago and the other day I introduced a second guppy and everything broke loose...2 angels and a guppy have died, and the second guppy having some pretty bad nip wounds on his tail...I'm suspecting if hte killifish could be responsible for this as I've been losing fish every night!

I thought they were suppose to be pretty good community fish :crazy: any suggestions?
well for starters that fish tank is way over stocked for a 10g and yes they are good community fish but when forced into tight spaces crammed with fish they might go psyco i wouldnt blame him for it id blame the angel fish + the fact that that angels are vicious little things IMO unless you meant 100g instead of 10g
heres what i know on angels
dont put 2 males together or they will pretty much kill anything and each other for the right to breed with the female
so thats probably why your fish are dead

Fp.gardneri can be quite boisterious on occasions and will hav almost certainly taken a bite out of the guppies with their flowing fins (red rag to bull) There is no hard and fast rule that certain killifish make good community fish. If the angelfish were small then the swift antics of the Killis might have spooked them and harassed them but if they were larger specimens then I find this hard to believe. Angelfish would not have bitten the guppy tails and would more likely to have swallowed the fish in one gulp due to their hinged jaw indicitive of most cichlids.
I feel you have made a few bad decisions when stocking your small aquarium, going for fish that looks nice rather than doing a bit more research on compatability
Sorry to come across as being harsh but Fp gardneri can be quite boisterious as mentioned earlier.
Regards
BigC

I doubt your killis would kill all those fish - certainly without you noticing. A killi has no secret attack mode - particularly something like an angel fish - it can harrass smaller fish, and the bullying (usually combined with other factors) can kill, but you will almost certainly have seen this going on long before it happened.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back