Starting Over Again

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

McCool

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Puffers have always been one, if not my favorite, fish out there. I've planned to have a puff tank over and over again and even got pretty close one time. But here I am again Like always, and I really want to make it work this time. I want to plan everything out since I can't do anything yet anyways, and since I've never done brackish before I thought I'd get some help.

I'm aiming at a 15 or 20 gallon, something short. No tall tanks! Ideally I want a single Figure Eight puff and maybe a few bumblebee gobies if I do go for the 20 gallon. I'd like to try and use my canister filter. It's a Fluval, but I forget which model. It's rated for 60 gallons I believe. I'm using driftwood, and I'd like to plant it. Nothing crazy. Java Fern, Vals, Tiger Lotus. From the things I've read these are fairly good with low brackish, and I've always had excellent luck with growth rate in FW with them.

So to my questions, and I'll apologize in advance on the number of them. While I do have a little experience with salt water, I am clueless when it comes to plants and brackish.

1) For the plants listed, what sort of substrate should I use? I'd like to avoid any types like "eco-complete." So far those types have only made a mess for me. Sand is preferable, if at all possible.

2) Any other type of plants that do well in 1.005 salinity and grow fairly quickly?

3) Any ideas on lighting? I'd like moderate lighting atleast, and LEDs are preferable. If anyone knows of any good ones please let me know!

4) Will I need CO2? I've seen conflicting things with this regarding algae. I plan on planting the tank fairly heavily if that makes a difference.

5) Opinions on tank size? I know 15 gallons is the minimum, but would a single F8 work as long as it's heavily filtered and heavily planted with lots of driftwood hidey holes?

6) will my filter be too much for a 15 or 20 gallon? If the flow is too much, could I just put some sponge over the outtake?

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions soon. I won't be able to do anything for over a month anyways, plus the time it takes to cycle, but I want to plan ahead. Any answers or tips are appreciated! :) Thank you!

TwoTankAmin said:
Start by reading here http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Tetraodon_biocellus.html
Then read here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tetraodon-biocellatus/
Then for sure read here http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article84.html I have chatted with the author and can tell you he is one of the best out there especially re puffers. Ignore his advice at your own peril. You will find more by him on the puffer forum here http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/portal.php
Thank you for the articles! I've actually read most of them before, although I did just reread them since it's been awhile. :) I do still want to atleast try the driftwood and a few hardy live plants and see if I have any success, but I'd be more then willing to switch to silk plants if needed! 

I love looking at the Figure 8 puffers at the fish shops, the way they swim is mesmerizing, was looking at setting up a bumblebee goby tank many years ago but never really found  some nice ones at the LFS.

KrazyKuhli said:
I love looking at the Figure 8 puffers at the fish shops, the way they swim is mesmerizing, was looking at setting up a bumblebee goby tank many years ago but never really found  some nice ones at the LFS.
Luckily my LFS always has pretty nice stock, if a bit overpriced. Still worth it for healthy fish though! 
yahoo.gif

You can plant a brackish F8 aquarium no problem but stick to Sg1.002-SG1.003@25°C for best results, some plants will survive to ~SG1.005 but they won't grow as well. I'd advise against CO2 because you're aiming for hard alkaline water & the CO2 will lower the pH. People will advise against wood in a brackish tank but I've had wood in both my F8 and mudskipper tank (SG1.010) for 6 years or so without issue. The wood will also lower the pH but at least with my hard tap water it hasn't dropped below 7.5.

I had a tiger lotus but once the bulb had exhausted itself it died off. I suspect that my 1.5 W/(US)G T5 wasn't powerful enough or my fert dosing was too lean. The other plants should do fine. Other plants to consider are Bacopa Monnieri, Aponogeton Crispus, Crypt Wendti, Saggitari Subulata, Java Moss, Cerateptoris Thalictroides.

you could use a substrate like Eco complete or similar - you're plants will thank you for it -capped with a black aragonite sand which will help buffer the water.

You can use an oversized filter and your F8 will enjoy playing in the current but obviously they're not minnows and will need the flow wound down a bit if they're getting pushed around.

iliveinazoo said:
You can plant a brackish F8 aquarium no problem but stick to Sg1.002-SG1.003@25°C for best results, some plants will survive to ~SG1.005 but they won't grow as well. I'd advise against CO2 because you're aiming for hard alkaline water & the CO2 will lower the pH. People will advise against wood in a brackish tank but I've had wood in both my F8 and mudskipper tank (SG1.010) for 6 years or so without issue. The wood will also lower the pH but at least with my hard tap water it hasn't dropped below 7.5.

I had a tiger lotus but once the bulb had exhausted itself it died off. I suspect that my 1.5 W/(US)G T5 wasn't powerful enough or my fert dosing was too lean. The other plants should do fine. Other plants to consider are Bacopa Monnieri, Aponogeton Crispus, Crypt Wendti, Saggitari Subulata, Java Moss, Cerateptoris Thalictroides.

you could use a substrate like Eco complete or similar - you're plants will thank you for it -capped with a black aragonite sand which will help buffer the water.

You can use an oversized filter and your F8 will enjoy playing in the current but obviously they're not minnows and will need the flow wound down a bit if they're getting pushed around.
Thank you for the help! My pH with the wood in my other tanks always stayed at 7.5, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem. I think I'm actually going to go with white sand, but I think I'll do a base substrate, something for the plants.
On the Lotus, I had it do great in my 55 tank. It was about 1.5 WPG also, but I never dosed ferts. It just came up from one of the bulbs I bought in a little pack, and it nearly took over the tank! Lovely plant. Hopefully I'll get lucky again and it'll work, but if not I'm happy with the vals for height. I'll look into the other plants also, and see if I can find some next time I'm at my LFS.
Thank you so much! :)

Most reactions

Back