Starting Over- A New 10 Gal

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

clinicalDisorder

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So after a long, strenuous cleaning of my old 10 gallon tank, I was able to scrub it down and fix it up with new black sand. It looks so much better than it did.

20150329_152640.jpg

I've started cycling (even though I think my older filter media should have some bacteria, I haven't tested the parameters yet), and I've bought some amazon swords, crypts, and some Glossostigma.  They should come in soon this week!

New set ups are always fun :) Do you have any plans for what will be going in it, fishwise? And welcome to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

Honestly, my dream setup would be maybe two gouramis, some guppies, and some shrimp. I haven't done too much research just yet, but I have time while the tank is cycling!

Guppies and gouramis are on different ends of GH, guppies liking hard water and gourami the latter. The two probably wouldn't fit into this tank together. :/

But I will follow! :D

Really? I must have been misinformed, I could have sworn I read a journal with that exact setup. Is there anything I can treat my water with to try to mediate between the two?

Also, in terms of stocking, does it matter what is placed in first? I read that smaller fish should go in first before larger, but does it matter for inverts as well?

Before you decide on stocking, you should find out if your water is hard or soft.

There are a lot of different gourami species; which one were you thinking of?

I know we have a water softener, but I believe our water is relatively hard. I was thinking a dwarf gourami, or possibly a pair.

Is this water softener one of those that is plumbed into the kitchen taps for example or plumbed into the whole house water supply, and add salt every so often?

If so, I would advise to use caution when using this water for your tank as salt softener can have an effect on your stocking and plants etc.

Or just use a tap that has not got this softener into the tap supply.

I used to have a water softener but only for the kitchen, so I would use water from the bathroom taps, so i have never used the softened water for my tanks.

If you're unsure about what your water is, you can search online for your water suplly provider for the information needed, namely ph, gh and kh, softenness/hardness numbers.

Or alternatively if you do not have these tests to hand, you can take a sample of tank water to LFS and ask them for ph, kh and gh parameters, you may have to pay a pound or so for the tests or if lucky, free.

We have moderately hard water, I believe, and I'm afraid that we have the water softener that you described, Ch4rlie. I'll see if I can get my hands on kh and gh tests!

Most reactions

Back