Starting Fresh

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Back in my early days of fish keeping I bought pool filter sand. It is a good substrate for outside tanks, where the sun gives a more natural light, and it isn’t as bright.

I went with a pure white ‘sugar’ sand for my community tank.

I think you should start giving numbers for your stocking. If you say 40 fish I am getting stressed out. You say most are tetras, but does most mean 10,20,30? If I where you this is the stock list I would use

Neon Tetra: 15
Dwarf Chain Loach: 7
Clown Killifish: 5-7
Bolivian rams: do well in groups of 6
Amani Shrimp: great cleaners, I would add 10 in a 55. They don’t do anything to the bio load.
Stiphodon Goby: Don’t know much about them except that they need an established tank, and can be hard to take care of.

Clown killifish are jumpers, so make sure to have a nice lid. Most of the fish you picked out are not beginner fish, and do require some special parameters, so warning you on that.

Good luck, I hope this helped!

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Posted here: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/quarantine-tank.483242/ but do you think a 16" cube tank (14gal) would be suitable for the fish I listed purely for QT?

If you have the space, a basic 20g would be my choice over a basic 10g, but having said that, if space is the limiting factor, the 10g will certainly be sufficient. The fish mentioned in the link will be acquired as fry or very young, and not need the sort of space that mature fish would, so as a QT it will work fine.

OP
OP
D

djlombar

Reaction score
Back in my early days of fish keeping I bought pool filter sand. It is a good substrate for outside tanks, where the sun gives a more natural light, and it isn’t as bright.

I went with a pure white ‘sugar’ sand for my community tank.

I think you should start giving numbers for your stocking. If you say 40 fish I am getting stressed out. You say most are tetras, but does most mean 10,20,30? If I where you this is the stock list I would use

Neon Tetra: 15
Dwarf Chain Loach: 7
Clown Killifish: 5-7
Bolivian rams: do well in groups of 6
Amani Shrimp: great cleaners, I would add 10 in a 55. They don’t do anything to the bio load.
Stiphodon Goby: Don’t know much about them except that they need an established tank, and can be hard to take care of.

Clown killifish are jumpers, so make sure to have a nice lid. Most of the fish you picked out are not beginner fish, and do require some special parameters, so warning you on that.

Good luck, I hope this helped!
40 included the shrimp, so ~30 not including them :) The numbers you gave are on par with what I was originally thinking (except replacing 5-6 Tetra with an extra 2 or 3 Bolivian Rams).

Definitely going to have a glass lid!

I may reconsider some and look at them for future. The Goby would definitely be the last I added; I used to do a lot of scuba diving and I just love their behavior. I know freshwater will be a bit different but I've got a soft spot for the ground guys. Any others you'd recommend? Plecos are just alright IMO.

Most reactions