Starting Fresh (29G Tanks)

There are more brands, but in the US, the Koralias offer the most power at the most reasonable prices. That being said, I'll use a cheapie powerhead to mix my Saltwater, like a Marineland. For my pico, I have a rio 50 that I'm very happy with, but the rio brand is not as good for larger tanks. Tunze is another good name, but this is an expensive powerhead.

In what direction should I place the two powerheads and how deep?
If I am taking the filter canister out, can I expect the tank to cloud up?

A pair of clowns, if they are either percs or ocellaris should be ok along with a goby. I wouldn't get peppermint shrimp. If you can find either skunk cleaners or even fire shrimp, all the better. Usually you can only have once species of hermit crab per tank. My favorites so far are Electric blue hermits. I've got two in my 8g pico. Active, but not overly aggressive. I also have an emerald crab, but sometimes they can be, well, crabby. I got lucky, mine just hides and eats the leftovers from my Fire shrimp's meal. Or he'll walk around and eat algae.

If you put in your LR, I'd try to put it all in at once. I actually put mine first and then added the substrate, but I've got tempered glass in the bottom of my tanks and I didn't want the rocks to shift over the substrate.

yeah, RO really is the best. It's like working with a clean slate every time and you control exactly what you put in. I'd look into getting an RO unit if you can. You don't need one with a large capacity. Mine can make 100g a day, but you won't need anything near that. I also tend to do much larger water changes then your average reefer, almost 40-50% weekly, depending on the system. But then, I don't really have to dose anything and when you can make water at that capacity for just the cost of the salt, it becomes very cheap. I pay around .30 per gallon of SW if I make my own and I use Red Sea Coral pro, which is on the expensive side of salts. But for now, .75 per gallon isn't all that bad for SW and .35 is ok for RO. Miami LFS sell those items for significantly more. But on the flip side, I get livestock much cheaper.

Yes, I'd at least get pH, ammonia, and nitrite. I'd get two power heads. Two Koralia nanos should be great for your tank. I tend to have more flow. I'm not sure if you'll need a skimmer. Some use them, some don't. I don't, though I have a slim skim nano just kind of lying around. Ended up not needing it.

L

LLJ,

What about a Goby and Pistol shrimp combo? I know they are fairly popular. Are they practical for my tank? I love the Skunk Cleaners!

What is your advice on when I can put in my first crabs (I like the elec. blue also =))and snails in? How far after until a shrimp and maybe fish? I know its a waiting game, but as always im anxious lol.

I still currently have the filter in, however I will take it out this friday/saturday when I put in my powerheads.

As promised, here is the new picture with my 31.5lbs of Live Rock! Do you like my stacking job? lol

Smallerjpg.jpg

Still a few unanswered questions above this post if anyone has any input, id still enjoy any and all help.

I appreciate all the help!

-Tyler

The best tests you can do right now, IMO, are specific gravity tests to measure your salt levels. Otherwise, there is not much testing in this phase, at least in my opinion. Others test a lot, and I did at first but I was set straight. Let your tank go through the ammonia spikes and the die-off and don't stress about it. The parameters are going to be odd for a few weeks depending on the quality of your LR. Mine was cured at the LFS so I had very little die-off, especially in my picos, so I was good to add my CUC very quickly. I just tested my sg everyday to see if I needed to do a top-off. You have to learn your top-off pattern. That's important. I know exactly how much RO water to add now in my 8g to keep my sg stable everyday. So I don't even need to check my sg as much now. Just to check myself. My 36g, on the other hand had some die-off and went through a cycle proper. Have the lights on. Once you see diatoms, then I'd test the water for ammonia and nitrite and pH and see where your are in your cycle, if you have either ammonia or nitrite, you're still cycling and then I'd wait another week before testing again. But don't go wasting tests on a tank that's still cycling by testing everyday. You shouldn't be adding anything anyway, so why bother testing? You don't need to test everyday. After another week, you test for ammonia, nitrite, and pH again. If your pH is good, and you don't have ammonia or nitrite, then assume you've got nitrates and the cycle is complete. Do a waterchange, I do larger ones, but others don't, and then add your CUC. I had a pencil urchin survive my 36g cycle, so organisms do make it. Like I said, others do this process differently and are more religious with water testing. I had very good quality LR and I also got it direct from a LFS, so no die-off in transit.

Was your rock cured or uncured? Do you know? Uncured rock will take longer and stinks like there's no tomorrow. I don't mind the smell of cured rock. Smells like the ocean.

Lots of people pick pistol shrimp/goby pairs. That may be my first fish for my 8g too. :) I'm a fan of the high-finned banded goby myself. Stonogobiops nematodes. It purty.

The best tests you can do right now, IMO, are specific gravity tests to measure your salt levels. Otherwise, there is not much testing in this phase, at least in my opinion. Others test a lot, and I did at first but I was set straight. Let your tank go through the ammonia spikes and the die-off and don't stress about it. The parameters are going to be odd for a few weeks depending on the quality of your LR. Mine was cured at the LFS so I had very little die-off, especially in my picos, so I was good to add my CUC very quickly. I just tested my sg everyday to see if I needed to do a top-off. You have to learn your top-off pattern. That's important. I know exactly how much RO water to add now in my 8g to keep my sg stable everyday. So I don't even need to check my sg as much now. Just to check myself. My 36g, on the other hand had some die-off and went through a cycle proper. Have the lights on. Once you see diatoms, then I'd test the water for ammonia and nitrite and pH and see where your are in your cycle, if you have either ammonia or nitrite, you're still cycling and then I'd wait another week before testing again. But don't go wasting tests on a tank that's still cycling by testing everyday. You shouldn't be adding anything anyway, so why bother testing? You don't need to test everyday. After another week, you test for ammonia, nitrite, and pH again. If your pH is good, and you don't have ammonia or nitrite, then assume you've got nitrates and the cycle is complete. Do a waterchange, I do larger ones, but others don't, and then add your CUC. I had a pencil urchin survive my 36g cycle, so organisms do make it. Like I said, others do this process differently and are more religious with water testing. I had very good quality LR and I also got it direct from a LFS, so no die-off in transit.

Was your rock cured or uncured? Do you know? Uncured rock will take longer and stinks like there's no tomorrow. I don't mind the smell of cured rock. Smells like the ocean.

Lots of people pick pistol shrimp/goby pairs. That may be my first fish for my 8g too. :) I'm a fan of the high-finned banded goby myself. Stonogobiops nematodes. It purty.
Awesome Advice! Thank you again!

My LR was fully cured. They had a lot of LR in two large elevated round plastic tubs (bigger than a bath tub and circular) at counter height with flowing water in/out of the tubs. He told me it was FULLY cured and ready for str8 into the tank even if established. I have NO stink as of now, it smells nice like the ocean so far =).

I need to get my test kits and start testing it sounds like. So... I will go get test kits test my ammonia and nitrite and check it again in a week. If nice and low I can add CUC? Is shrimp considered CUC or should I wait and just get crabs and snails for now?

Have my lights on day and night? or just 10 hrs a day? That's one I've been wondering.

My LR was fully cured. They had a lot of LR in two large elevated round plastic tubs (bigger than a bath tub and circular) at counter height with flowing water in/out of the tubs. He told me it was FULLY cured and ready for str8 into the tank even if established. I have NO stink as of now, it smells nice like the ocean so far =).

I need to get my test kits and start testing it sounds like. So... I will go get test kits test my ammonia and nitrite and check it again in a week. If nice and low I can add CUC? Is shrimp considered CUC or should I wait and just get crabs and snails for now?

Have my lights on day and night? or just 10 hrs a day? That's one I've been wondering.

I agree with what Lissette has said. IMO a shrimp is part of the CUC along with everhting else that scavangers around for food. At the moment the test kits you need are pH High, Ammonia (NH3), Nitrate (NO3) and Nitrite (NO2). If pH is above 8.0, ammonia is 0 and Nitrite is also 0 then you are good to go and add your CUC. Oh and I should have also said welcome to the salty side of life earlier. :good:

I agree with what Lissette has said. IMO a shrimp is part of the CUC along with everhting else that scavangers around for food. At the moment the test kits you need are pH High, Ammonia (NH3), Nitrate (NO3) and Nitrite (NO2). If pH is above 8.0, ammonia is 0 and Nitrite is also 0 then you are good to go and add your CUC. Oh and I should have also said welcome to the salty side of life earlier. :good:

Thank you Thank you!

What about my lights? Keep them on all day/night? or turn em off at night?

-Tyler

Thank you Thank you!

What about my lights? Keep them on all day/night? or turn em off at night?

-Tyler

Run them about 10hrs a day

I need advice on Protein Skimmers. I have read a lot of reviews and it seems there are a lot of LOUD protein skimmers out there. What is going to work best for my 29gallon tank and not be LOUD! I like quiet. Also I am not set up for a sump, nor will I be until I go to a larger tank, so that is not a current option to get rid of sound.

Great news. We tested water levels last night. Everything looks great. The PH might be a smidge high but very close, ammonia is ZERO, and nitrites are ZERO. I added a little RO last night as the level of salt was getting a little higher, just a top off =).

Do you think I would need to wait for a spike that hasn't happened? Or am I g2g (good to go)?

-Tyler

Great news. We tested water levels last night. Everything looks great. The PH might be a smidge high but very close, ammonia is ZERO, and nitrites are ZERO. I added a little RO last night as the level of salt was getting a little higher, just a top off =).

Do you think I would need to wait for a spike that hasn't happened? Or am I g2g (good to go)?

-Tyler

Give it about another week and test again just to be sure you are fully cycled. What is your pH at?

Hard to tell exactly but I would say closest to 8.2.

Just went to LFS that specializes in only SW tanks. Its 8.3 pH all other params are 0.

:good: Looking good. I would definately hold off for another week or so on cuc just in case there is any die off. For a protein skimmer, might I suggest a deltec mce 300. Its an HoB skimmer. It is on the pricey side but they are top of the line.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back