Starting A New 65 Gallon Freshwater Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sahil9550

Reaction score
Hello, I had a question about what kind of filter to put in my 65 gallon tank.
I was looking at the Cascade 1500 Canister Filter that has a 350 gph rating and good for up to 200 gallon tanks.

Is that too much for the tank?
Or should I go with other ones (Cascade 1000: up to 100 gallon tanks/265 gph. Or Cascade 1200: up to 150 gallon tanks/315 gph.

I am also going to add an Marineland Penguin 350 just because those are reliable and work well with my other tanks.

sahil9550 said:
Hello, I had a question about what kind of filter to put in my 65 gallon tank.
I was looking at the Cascade 1500 Canister Filter that has a 350 gph rating and good for up to 200 gallon tanks.

Is that too much for the tank?
Or should I go with other ones (Cascade 1000: up to 100 gallon tanks/265 gph. Or Cascade 1200: up to 150 gallon tanks/315 gph.

I am also going to add an Marineland Penguin 350 just because those are reliable and work well with my other tanks.

Well you can never actually have "too much" filtration (unless you put a canister filter on a fish bowl
tongue2.gif
 ), it depends on how much maintenance and money you're willing to put into it and what your stocking plan is. I'd recommend canister filtration as the main filter for 30+ gallon tanks and HOB and/or internal as secondary if you want, but that's just my opinion (also kinda pricey). I also suggest using a Fluval canister filter if you can afford it. I run my 55 gallon with a Fluval 406 which is rated for 100 gallons (383 GPH) and a Fluval U4 Internal (260 GPH) which is rated for 34-60 gallons because I plan on having cichlids in the near future. What are you planning to stock the tank with?
ninja.gif

-Good Luck
big_boss.gif

It is advisable to first decide on what fish you intend.  And are plants intended?  Both of these should govern the filter you choose.  Flow from the filter is very important for fish, whether too much or too little, depending upon species.

As for the actual filtration itslef, there is no benefit in "over filtering" any fish tank, and the opposite can occur.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back