Starting A 200L Tropical Tank

Yuk!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 37
That's nothing to worry about, although it does look horrible!

It's an algae that grows on nutrients leaching out from the wood. It will disappear in time, once the nutrients are gone and it's not harmful to fish (some will even eat the stuff 
sick.gif
)

Looks like a job for a Chinese Algae Eater then. In a couple of weeks or so, of course.

No! Chinese algae eaters are, tbh, a nightmare of a fish!

They get get to easily a foot long and, as they get older, give up eating algae and become very aggressive. They very often develop a taste for the slime coat of other fish and latch on the their sides, causing some nasty ulcer type wounds, that can be fatal.

If you do want an algae eating fish (and bear in mind, they'll all produce a lot more poop than they ever clean up) there are far better, smaller, less aggressice choices than the CAE.

fluttermoth said:
No! Chinese algae eaters are, tbh, a nightmare of a fish!

They get get to easily a foot long and, as they get older, give up eating algae and become very aggressive. They very often develop a taste for the slime coat of other fish and latch on the their sides, causing some nasty ulcer type wounds, that can be fatal.

If you do want an algae eating fish (and bear in mind, they'll all produce a lot more poop than they ever clean up) there are far better, smaller, less aggressice choices than the CAE.
And once again I lament not finding this site a couple of years ago when the LFS said the CAE would be a great choice for my tank.  I don't like getting rid of fish just because, but I'm completely unsure what to do with the CAE. And the comets, for that matter.

Oh, I forgot you already had it, sorry 
blush.png

No dramas.

In the long term, it would be better to get rid of the algae eater and the comets, but I don't have friends who have the proper environment for them, and can't bring myself to euthanise them. Maybe I can wait until nature takes care of it, but is that just as cruel to the fish (especially if the CAE turns his attention to my other fish)?

Ammonia has already dropped since yesterday's 3ppm to 0.25ppm.
Nitrites are still off the chart, higher than yesterday.
Nitrates are somewhere between 40 and 80, maybe the plants have started to absorb some?

So from what I've read, I wait until the ammonia drops to 0 for two days straight, then give them a 1ppm snack until the nitrate drops to around 0.25ppm?

And I may have found someone on a local classified to take my CAE off my hands. Yay!

So I've been thinking of my stocking plan, and I want to go with the 6 Rainbows, the 12 Head and Tail-lights and the BN's. I will be waiting for 6 months or more before adding the Neons.

Although... I though of changing the Neons out for Cherry Barbs, but reading up, they may be a bit too nasty for my other tank-mates. The bright red of the Cherries should balance out the mainly silver of the Rainbows and HT's, but do you think the Neons would have the same effect, or is there something else I haven't yet considered that would counterbalance?

Sorry for all the questions, but I believe asking now would be better than spending money and being saddened at any disasters I inadvertently cause.

Cherry barbs aren't in the least bit nasty; most barbs aren't, it's really just tiger barbs that can be a nuisance. There are lots of red shoaling fish you could also look at; harlequin rasboras or red phantom tetras would both be fine.

Hmm. Went and saw some Cherry Barbs at the LFS and I think they'd set off the silver of the others quite nicely. Now, how many, and what to drop from the rest of the stocking plan... Can I go 6 Rainbows, 6, H&T Tetra, 12 Cherry Barb, 2 BN Pleco and eventually 12 Neons (6 months later)?

Currently Ammonia 0, Nitrites 5+ and Nitrates 80+.

Since we're going away for the weekend, I'm going to snack the ammonia tomorrow to reach 1ppm and check when I get back. I had high hopes that the nitrites would drop before now so I could move the tropicals into their tank next Monday, but it looks like I have to be patient for a bit longer than that.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 after 3 days away. I've put in a full 3ppm Ammonia and if we're back to 0 on both tomorrow we're away!

Both CAE have been re-homed to a lovely lady with a silver shark.

If everything is set tomorrow night then the Rainbows will be re-homed and by the weekend they'll have at least a dozen friends, 6 Head and Tail-lights and 6 Cherry Barbs. Might consider a couple of baby BN's or wait a while. Oh, and I'll also increase the Rainbows to a school of 6.

On the weekend we went mining for Thunder-Eggs, so there might be a change in substrate in both tanks, provided the specimens we found scrub up well and colourfully.

Where did you go mining for thunder-eggs? Near me is Mt Hay where people used to be able to fossick for their own, but I am pretty sure it closed down.

We went to Tamborine Mountain (Thunderbird Park) on the Gold Coast Hinterland. I think this little lad will be the centrepiece of the tank
smile.png

Egg.jpg

As far as I know, Mt Hay is still operational, but it's a bit far for me to go check.

I woke up this morning to find one of my Rainbows had expired. When I acquired them I was told they have been around for a few years, but it's still sad (the first one I've lost in over a year). Hopefully if the cycle is complete when I get home, I can re-home the others tonight and start 'scaping the tank the way I want.

That will make a nice centre piece. Mt Hay is just down the road from me, but I never hear anything about it after a kid died there a few years ago in a rock slide.
Sorry to hear that you lost a rainbow, they aren't the longest lived fish and you never know how old they are when purchased from shops.

Most reactions

Back