Spray Bar Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Twinklecaz

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi

With my new Tetratec, I've set it up so the spray bar goes about half way (bit more) along the top at the back of the tank. I do have another peice for it though so is it better for the plants to have it all the way along? What kind of flow should I be aiming for. I'd say my planting is the heavy side of medium and I'm currently not dosing Co2.

I assume you use ferts?
If you had it spanning across the length of the tank, the speed at which the water would come out would drop, so i think you should keep it with just one spray bar. How is plant growth at the moment?:good:

It's only been set up for about 10 days but so far good. There's a couple of plants that are noticably bigger :).

So long as the plants are moving, even if its ever so slightly, you know you have enough flow. :)

I had the start of some algae issues just below where the spray bar finished(and where I couldn't see much flow) so I've added the other piece now.

The only thing is, it seems like some plants are moving a lot more than others. I'm worried I'll damage the plants with more flow, trying to get some to the others.

Also, I always thought that too much surface movement causes Co2 to be expelled from the water so won't this be bad for the plants?

You want a slight ripple at the surface so just move the bar lower till you get this, I very much doubt you will damage the plants, they love flow as it gets them more chance of nutrients. In a planted tank you want to aim for at least 10x full tank turnover per hour.

That's not to do with how I set the flow though is it? That's to do with the filter size/stats?

Yeah sorry miss read your post there, thought you were asking what kind of flow should you be looking for lol, dunno why, next time I'll have a coffee before I read the new posts lol, was this algae the BBA in your other post? If so how did you get on with trying to get rid of it? Is it at the end of your spray bar that you just attached the longer spray bar part to or the other end where the out flow comes into the tank?

BBA was in my old tank. I got rid of it by getting a new tank and all new wood/plants/equipment :lol:

I had some green algae in the new one the other night. Is that what you mean? I wiped it off, adjusted the flow and it hasn't come back yet. Finger crossed that's it :)

BBA was in my old tank. I got rid of it by getting a new tank and all new wood/plants/equipment :lol:

I had some green algae in the new one the other night. Is that what you mean? I wiped it off, adjusted the flow and it hasn't come back yet. Finger crossed that's it :)

That is the most expensive way I've heard of to get rid algae lol. Any way back to the point, I'm sure the plants will be fine, stems are the biggest worry with massive amounts of flow but most plants can handle a fair bit.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back