Spotted Climbing Perch Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm wondering about spotted climbing perch in my 48 x 18 x 24" tank.  I gather that African butterfly fish go well with them and I think I'd have some congo tetras too.  Maybe some kind of barb.  I've kept butterfly fish before but not for that long but the others would be new to me.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts about this stocking or experiences with these fish.  Is this a reasonable idea to start off with?  How many of each would make a reasonable stocking?  Are there any other species that might be suitable?  What sort of barb might fit in?  Would dwarf chain loach be OK with the climbing perch?

As you said, an african butterfly fish should do well.

I'd pick one schooling fish but that's me. Like you mentioned, congo tetras. You could also do upsidedown catfish. I'm bad at stocking numbers so can't help you there unfortunately.
I'd think the dwarf chain loaches would be alright, especially being in different levels of the tank, but not 100% sure :/ I'd think more peaceful barbs that are big enough to not be swallowed.

HERE is a vid of a ctenopoma yawning..their mouths are surprisingly large. At least to me. ^^' Happens at 1:50.

I look forward to seeing what others say as I'm getting a ctenopoma soon as well. :)

I had a spotted perch for many years was one of my favorite fish. Very interesting to watch. I had it paired with Congo tetras and emperor tetras a gold gourami and a bristle nose pleco all got along fine. They are slow eaters so make sure yours is getting its fill. Not sure about the loach. I used to put in 20 glass shrimp once a month they are predator fish after all. My tank was planted and they look so cool swimming through plants. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy your new friend.

i have a spotted climbing perch and he is living happily with a blood parrot, severum, firemouth angels and the newest fish are Honduran red points (which are AWESOME). They are very peaceful fish (IMO) but make sure to feed it small fish, worms, bloodworms, mealworms and crickets. It will accept other foods just not flake, so i get the floating/sinking granular food and he eats that too! and make sure you have plants as they hide and wait for "prey" or just hang out like that. When they do hunt for food its amazing to watch. Like others above have said their mouth is HUGE. My SCP is almost full grown and can easily take in a breeder goldfish. Definitely an awesome fish to have!!!

Thank you for the replies and ideas.  It seems likely that my chain loach would be in danger and while I can move the other fish currently in this tank to other ones, the loaches present a problem.  So after some consideration I've decided not to get any climbing perch at this point.  I'd like to try keeping them at some point but not right now.  Unless I can work out how to fit another tank in .., :)

Most reactions

Back