Sponge Filters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
what divider?

if the tank has been divided into different compartments, then have a sponge filter in each compartment.
Uh, the divider I referred to previously when I said, “split tank” and the one clearly in the picture. Put your glasses on, my friend. Cracking me up!

Maybe because they think more water flow is somehow better filtration. It is not.
It's amazing how pervasive the notion that more filtration (that is water flow) is better. Not long ago on a FB page a member posted a photo of his 55g tank with 3 large Sunsun canister filters underneath! He got upset when I suggested he was over filtering. Some hobbyists have become convinced that filters clean the water when in fact they merely trap fish/plant waste and uneaten food where it continues to decompose and pollute the water column. Some think they need fast flows to imitate a stream or river...often for fish that were tank or pond raised and never knew fast moving waters. Some add more filtration and or powerheads for fear of the mulm. It's crazy I tell you! :)

image.jpg

A very simple sponge filter in a 2 1/2 gallon Betta tank. I have learned that Lee's makes an UGF for this size tank. The gravel then becomes the bacteria's home and restores my aesthetics. Not that I dislike the looks of the sponge but she who must be obeyed does.

You can put a thin layer of gravel over the sponge to cover it up. The sponge will go brown over time.

Undergravel filters need 2-4 inches of gravel to work effectively. There is insufficient gravel in the tank for one to work properly.

Actually a UGF will work fine with 1-2" of gravel since all we are doing is creating a platform for aerobic bacteria...and there's plenty of surface area in 1-2" of gravel. The key to a successful UGF is to keep it well vacuumed to remove waste and uneaten food so it's doesn't become a nitrate factory.

I addressed the reason that I didn’t use a pre-filter sponge in my earlier post. Thank you though. I know it’s not fin rot but what other disorder have I possibly overlooked? I’m open to any ideas I haven’t already tried.
I had a thought about your Betta's fin problems. Is your water warm ? Is your water soft and acidic ? I use RO water for my Betta and keep him warm. This may help or not. Most problems with South American and Southeast Asian fish are due to hard alkaline water.

I had a thought about your Betta's fin problems. Is your water warm ? Is your water soft and acidic ? I use RO water for my Betta and keep him warm. This may help or not. Most problems with South American and Southeast Asian fish are due to hard alkaline water.
My temp is exactly 80F and PH is 7.8. I added some driftwood and IAL to help PH. I am at a loss..

Well, it may be a case of weak stock. It happens. Sounds like you've left no stone unturned.
Thanks for thinking about it. I really appreciate it. They’re healthy so I guess I can’t complain. :dunno:

May try raising temp. I have learned recently that they prefer mid 80s 85-86°F. Makes since, thinking about where they originated from. Most people think rice patties but not entirely true. Large shallow rivers that happened to have rice patties built with irrigation and so opening waterways for them to enter patties. But we all know what happens to large shallow bodies of water in hot climates. Anyway just food for thought.

May try raising temp. I have learned recently that they prefer mid 80s 85-86°F. Makes since, thinking about where they originated from. Most people think rice patties but not entirely true. Large shallow rivers that happened to have rice patties built with irrigation and so opening waterways for them to enter patties. But we all know what happens to large shallow bodies of water in hot climates. Anyway just food for thought.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think they both actually need larger tanks. Instead of sharing a split 10 gallon, I am going to move one to another 10 gallon that I have and remove the divider in the current tank. With more room, perhaps they won’t be stressed. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back