Sponge Filters

fish.com1

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Yorkshire
Hi everyone,

I'm hopefully going to get a sponge filter for my new shrimp tank. I am going to attach the tube from the sponge filter to the bottom of a pump. I am a bit concerned at if the tube from the sponge filter will fit around the hole at the bottom of my pump.I think the tube may be too large for the hole. If it does not fit, can i use aquarium sealant to glue the tube to the bottom of the pump? I know it would be difficult to clean but i could pour in some water (tank water) in to the outlet of the pump to clean the motor impeller. would this work?

Thanks.
 
what type of pump is it for a start
 
sponge filters are, most often, run by air pumps. if you are trying to fit a powerhead. it wont work!
 
what type of pump is it for a start

Well the filters a classica powerbio 200 that comes with the arcadia arc tank, and i have the pump off the top of that. The problem i have is the sponge filters i am looking at on aqua essentials don't have the measurements of the tube that will fit AROUND the hole at the bottom of the pump, so i can't tell if they will fit or not. At the bottom of the pump there is a hole where the water flows into that is raised off from the rest of the pump. About 2 - 3mm away at either side of this hole there are two more raised sections of plastic. I want the outer rim of the tube from the sponge filter to fit in the gap between the hole and the bits of plastic. I think that the tube will be too big for the gap between the hole and the plastic and will go around the raised bits of plastic because the tube hole will be a larger circle .So because there is probably little chance that this will fit, i was wondering if i could glue (with aquarium sealant) the outer rim of the tube around the hole and the raised bits of plastic. Would this work and be ok for aquarium use.

Hope all that made sense.

Thanks.
 
Sponge filter can be run with powerheads just fine. Most power heads I have seen are stepped along the bottom, where the tube is going to connect. If the tube is slightly too big to fit on the power head I wrap a rubber band around the base where the tube is suppose to connect. This makes the tube fit very well.
 
Sponge filter can be run with powerheads just fine. Most power heads I have seen are stepped along the bottom, where the tube is going to connect. If the tube is slightly too big to fit on the power head I wrap a rubber band around the base where the tube is suppose to connect. This makes the tube fit very well.

Sorry it isn't a powerhead its an air pump. I think i confused people with my first post.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top