Sponge filter question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I added a sponge filter to my tank. It's brand new. This seems like it couldn't be simpler. Just connect the air tube and run some air through it.
But there doesn't seem to be any suction. I've already turned up the air flow. The lift tube is also in place. I held a piece of java moss up near it and I would have thought the filter would have pulled it in. But nothing.

Have you fitted the anti-reverse valve the right way in the tubing?

It will be working. The reason people use air operated sponge filters in fry tanks is because they don't suck baby fish onto the sponge. But they do work, just a lot slower than power filters. Give it a week and see how many brown patches appear in the sponge.

You can spread a thin layer of gravel on the sponge to hold the sponge down and so you don't see a bright blue sponge in the corner.

It will be working. The reason people use air operated sponge filters in fry tanks is because they don't suck baby fish onto the sponge. But they do work, just a lot slower than power filters. Give it a week and see how many brown patches appear in the sponge.

You can spread a thin layer of gravel on the sponge to hold the sponge down and so you don't see a bright blue sponge in the corner.
This one actually has a weighted base, which I thought was pretty clever.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back