spiny eel

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wuvmybetta

Caw!!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have a 3 to 4 inch spiny eel who will eat nothing but live brine,that's it. I try to give him guppy fry and he just looks at them like "aaaww aren't you cute :wub: " (so now I'm stuck with 10 baby guppies :grr: )

it's not that he's too small to eat them because I've seen him wolf down ghost shrimp (and see them poking out of his sides :sick: :lol: )

any suggestions?

Keep feeding him the brine shrimp and ghost shrimp and try him with some live bloodworms,eels dont tend to eat fish until they reach full size and even then if well fed should leave tankmates alone.
What kind of spiney eel is it,if it is one of the smaller species then it wont eat fish anyway.

we used to have a pair of spinys

we fed the other fish as normal and it seemed to look after itself by picking off the left overs after dark

he's still a mystery as far as exactly what sort of eel he is.
I even had the lady from my LFS over here visiting the other day and she couldn't give me a positive i.d.

as far as ghost & brine go....I'll keep feeding him those,it's just hard to keep them in stock around here with all of the tanks begging for the brine and my lfs only gets them in once a week....for example,it's Saturday and the lfs won't have any until Monday :grr: and pffft there's no way I have the patience to raise them, it took all of my brain power and tons of dead brine before I realized they need an aerator in their jar :lol: -_-

I don't know where to find bloodworms....unless I stop cleaning out my bird bath in the backyard and use it as a "hatchery" :lol:

any ideas? are they easy to raise ?

If i were you id find a new lfs,IMO the stocking of live food is the most important service they provide to the established fish keeper.
Find out if they can order the bloodworms in for you,my lfs orders 4oz each of bloodworms and glassworms in for me each week so that i dont have to worry about them running out of stock.The ammount you would be able to collect in your yard would be no where near enough.

Any pics of the eel or even a discription?Someone maybe able to ID it for you.

hmmmm, ya know I never even asked my lfs if they stock bloodworms, they just might :nod:

I posted a pic of it a few months ago....I tried to do a search and I can't find it :unsure: ,I'll keep looking, he resembles a tyre track eel but his markings are a little different

If you can't get the live ones try the frozen. Once thawed out they should work fine and they have a good variety of frozen foods at most lfs's

I have a freezer full of stuff like that and he just turns his nose at everything :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back