Space Travel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tbh...I would much rather the money being wasted on continued space exploration and playtime for billionaires to be spent on projects such as finding the wreckage of Malaysian flight 370 so that the families can finally find out what truly happened to their loved ones and not have to endure the constant speculation.

At the end of the day, for me at least, I just think that there are far more important things to find answers to on Earth than there is on other planets where we as humans have no intention or need or ability to inhabit

All those billions of wasted money from Musk, Bezos and Branson could be diverted from their space play to something useful like finding out where flight 370 is and why it went missing and returning loved ones to their families cos it sure as heck did not just vanish into thin air......

I guess I get annoyed when so much money is used on totally useless projects that actually do nothing by way of progress. The three billionaires are just repeating the old chestnut of the US vs USSR oneupmanship game...and for what good will it do?

I find it quite pathetic that three grown men are wasting money on what is just a game of oneupmanship that is not going to have any scientific value whatsoever.
Branson never spends his own money. He simply licenses his brands name out for a period to companies.

At which point, those selfish and foolish billionaires, with their re-usable rockets and private patents will be quids in.
And the rest of us won't have to see the collapse of modern civilization because we literally cannot access the resources we need to build with anymore.
SpaceX.....Musk's company...is also involved in the research and potential of weapon installations on the moon

As is every first world country on the planet. Again as much as I hate it this is the world we have and to say X is bad so forget about Y as well seems short sighted.

Branson never spends his own money. He simply licenses his brands name out for a period to companies.
Branson was caught out

At the start of the pandemic he was still actively trying to get his space programme off the ground, despite the deaths in an accident.....and going cap in hand to the UK government demanding that his airline got bailed out cos they couldn't fly due to the lockdown. He isn't even a UK citizen anymore, he lives in the Caymans and took their citizenship years ago...tax haven.

(Another thing about space exploration that annoys me intensely is that India gets huge amounts of financial aid from the UK due to being a former colony but is spending billions on its own space programme, has its own military and commercial satellites up there but can't afford to feed and care for its population, which was highlighted during the worst of the pandemic last year)

Financial aid OR goods/engineering manufactured by U.K. companies that require U.K. companies to manufacture parts for and to maintain them? Thus creating jobs in the U.K. or in U.K. companies overseas operations?
The U.K. press deliberately don’t differentiate as it helps deliver their owners isolationist beliefs.

That is just the known military hardware up there....

Over and above that you have the communications, weather and other satellites and the ISS....all of which can, if required, be adapted for military use
wow, i thought that was all used for studying and exploration use, not milatry use.

And the rest of us won't have to see the collapse of modern civilization because we literally cannot access the resources we need to build with anymore.

As is every first world country on the planet. Again as much as I hate it this is the world we have and to say X is bad so forget about Y as well seems short sighted.
The loss of resources to the extent that you are saying will not happen in our lifetime, perhaps not even in the lifetime of this planet since it is controlling things and not us

You mentioned previously about removing nuclear weapons...yeah...great...I agree...but at the same time you are forgetting the military hardware up in space now and in future and the ability already in place to adapt what is already up there to carry/launch nuclear weapons should the desire occur by any othe nations that own the equipment whizzing around in space......and weaponising the moon too in 2023-25?

Just as the US were willing to turn a blind eye to Von Braun in 1945 for his rocket technology that changed from being weapons to peaceful space exploration, every country, every company and company owner has a price that someone will be happy to pay to get their technology that was developed for peaceful means and change to non-peaceful means

The loss of resources to the extent that you are saying will not happen in our lifetime, perhaps not even in the lifetime of this planet since it is controlling things and not us

You mentioned previously about removing nuclear weapons...yeah...great...I agree...but at the same time you are forgetting the military hardware up in space now and in future and the ability already in place to adapt what is already up there to carry/launch nuclear weapons should the desire occur by any othe nations that own the equipment whizzing around in space......and weaponising the moon too in 2023-25?

Just as the US were willing to turn a blind eye to Von Braun in 1945 for his rocket technology that changed from being weapons to peaceful space exploration, every country, every company and company owner has a price that someone will be happy to pay to get their technology that was developed for peaceful means and change to non-peaceful means
your right, if you got rid of nuclear weapons' space exploration would probably not exist or it would not be as advanced.

That is not correct though. Many rare earth minerals will be depleted to the point of no longer being viable for use within the next 100 years. That's with current usage and that is only going to accelerate. These are things that are absolutely essential for manufacturing microprocessors, medical equipment, energy storage, etc, etc.

I might not be here in 100 years but potentially my kids might be and if not my grandkids. I don't want to be that shortsighted that I doom them anymore then the previous generations have done already.

Modern civilization is built around modern technology. Take away the ability to create and maintain that technology and that civilization will collapse.

Also not to mention extracting all these rare earth materials takes an obscene amount of resources and is causing massive amounts of harm to the planet and its ability to support life. Even if we had another 1000 years of these resources left we should still be looking for better, cleaner ways to get them.

Last edited:
I know. Worried what will happen if the shuttles miss earth & fall into another dimension. Terrifying!
Because it's flat if you tried to land on the Earth from the side you couldn't see it properly so would probably miss 😅

It has been said that some people only need to fart to lose all gravitational control.....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back