South American Biotope

cool i found them - they look quite cool but in some videos I found they fought a lot? is that normal?

other cichlids I've just been looking at are Aequidens Caerulopuncatatus (sp) which I have in a book which is quite recent 2006 yet can find nothing of it on the net any ideas anyone? And also the threadfined acara - acarichthys heckelli though I think this would be too big for a 30g? And i feel a bit silly even suggesting it lol but its kind of a fish that I have as a starting point trying to find somthing close in some respect.
 
Were they fighting with other fish or with other bandit cichlids? They should be pretty peaceful towards other fish (not sure if they eat small tetras though).

I think the correct spelling is aequidens coeruleopunctatus, I found a few pictures/articles that seemed relevant.
 
they were fighting with each other - found the other one as well but seems a bit to rare to track down tbh what do you think about a topaz cichlid or threadfin acara in this set up?
 
just got back from buying the tank :D I have a cabinet!! Because they sold out of tanks :( but getting it next week hopefully which is quite short wait last time i got a tank from new it was like nearly 6 weeks lol. Went to spy those starlight BN's and found out they are L344 which I can only find one photo of on the net and very little about it really only that it is a herbivore and grows to about 4 inches so thats pretty nice :) but I'm guessing they will be like regular BN's which Ive had in the past. Might grab a pair as the shop they are in has a good load of them and they are tiny at the moment - at the moment they have large spots and irregular white patches on fins and tails but on the adult photo the spots look to go smaller but keep the white patches and at 4 inches IMO that is a very nice plec for my tank :) (I also have a thread about this in the pleco forum)

As far as other fish I am really stuck as to what I want which is not a bad thing at all as I have enough stocking plans at the moment to keep adding for a good few months. So as it stands my stocking plans at the moment are

3 Apisto Cacatuoides (1M 3F)
12 Tetras - either all Platinum Tetras or 6 Platinum Tetras + 6 Green Neons?
2 L344 plecs or 1 L344 and an other plec maybe a gold nugget?

As you can see I'm a bit indecisive as always suggestions always welcome :)

Wills
 
just got back from buying the tank :D I have a cabinet!! Because they sold out of tanks :( but getting it next week hopefully which is quite short wait last time i got a tank from new it was like nearly 6 weeks lol. Went to spy those starlight BN's and found out they are L344 which I can only find one photo of on the net and very little about it really only that it is a herbivore and grows to about 4 inches so thats pretty nice :) but I'm guessing they will be like regular BN's which Ive had in the past. Might grab a pair as the shop they are in has a good load of them and they are tiny at the moment - at the moment they have large spots and irregular white patches on fins and tails but on the adult photo the spots look to go smaller but keep the white patches and at 4 inches IMO that is a very nice plec for my tank :) (I also have a thread about this in the pleco forum)

As far as other fish I am really stuck as to what I want which is not a bad thing at all as I have enough stocking plans at the moment to keep adding for a good few months. So as it stands my stocking plans at the moment are

3 Apisto Cacatuoides (1M 3F)
12 Tetras - either all Platinum Tetras or 6 Platinum Tetras + 6 Green Neons?
2 L344 plecs or 1 L344 and an other plec maybe a gold nugget?

As you can see I'm a bit indecisive as always suggestions always welcome :)

Wills

The Tetras would be happier (and look much better) if you got them all the same so either 12 Platinmus or 12 Neons
 
yeah I think I agree might top them back up to 15

and in the time since I last posted Ive come across a fish that I have absolutley fallen in love with the redbreasted acara - Laetacara dorsigera these may actually be the last fish to go in but do you think the tank is big enough to handle them and the cockatoos? Ive seen other people with tanks of 20g with 2 sets of cichlids in and in my experience I have mixed cichlids well in the past.

If this stocking is right it really is a dream stocking now of

3 Apisto Cacatuoides (1m 2f)
2 Redbreast Acara (1m 1f)
15 Platinum Tetras
2 Plecs (1 L344 and 1 L??? )

for a 30g long with a good weekly maintenance regime


*edit woo second page :)
 
*bump* sorry to be rude just still looking for advice to the stocking :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top