Sorry, Another Stocking Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Redtailblackshark how cum u hav a goldfish in a tropical tank. is this normal, can they be kept like this. i always thought they are solely cold water. maybe i am wrong

is it a pair of angels or just 2 angels?

if its a pair, i say jump on it! paired angels are less aggressive to each other (if i recall) and multiple angels in a tank look so lovely. as far as i know, grown angels only eat very small fish like neons. but breeding angels may attack smaller fish if they feel their spawn is threatened.

if its just two angels, i'd pass on the offer. unpaired angels are often aggressive to each other and any smaller angels you may introduce. i'd be suspicious that this is the actual case, especially if the offering party has a pair of angels he is keeping. the easiest way to get a breeding pair of angels is to purchase several small ones and allow them to pair off as they grow. the other end of this technique is that the purchaser is left with 2-4 angels they need to offload somewhere else! and 2" is getting pretty close to sexual maturity, if not already there...

:dunno: i'm not an expert on angels, having never kept any, but this is what i think i remember from reading in the SA Cichlid forum. you might benefit more by making direct inquires in there.

VeryFatbloke said:
Hi all

I've been offered a couple of angels, which are currently about 2". Should I accept them? I am sure that I've read that they do eat smaller fish, once they get bigger.

In view of the fact that I'm going to be adding smaller fish I thought I'd pose the question before accepting or declining the angels.

Thanks
Gary
Pentazona barbs - those aren't tiger barbs are they? If they are, pass. If they're anywhere near as nippy as tiger barbs, pass.

-*-MicHAeL-*- said:
Redtailblackshark how cum u hav a goldfish in a tropical tank. is this normal, can they be kept like this. i always thought they are solely cold water. maybe i am wrong
His goldfish (according to his sig) is in their own seperate tank.

Pentazona barbs - those aren't tiger barbs are they? If they are, pass. If they're anywhere near as nippy as tiger barbs, pass.

See the link below (if it works!!)
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/barbpent.htm
Pentazonas are much more placid than Tigers, if anything they tend to be quite timid.

Cheers for the info everyone, keep it coming.

Gary

pica_nuttalli said:
is it a pair of angels or just 2 angels?

if its a pair, i say jump on it! paired angels are less aggressive to each other (if i recall) and multiple angels in a tank look so lovely. as far as i know, grown angels only eat very small fish like neons. but breeding angels may attack smaller fish if they feel their spawn is threatened.

if its just two angels, i'd pass on the offer. unpaired angels are often aggressive to each other and any smaller angels you may introduce. i'd be suspicious that this is the actual case, especially if the offering party has a pair of angels he is keeping. the easiest way to get a breeding pair of angels is to purchase several small ones and allow them to pair off as they grow. the other end of this technique is that the purchaser is left with 2-4 angels they need to offload somewhere else! and 2" is getting pretty close to sexual maturity, if not already there...

:dunno: i'm not an expert on angels, having never kept any, but this is what i think i remember from reading in the SA Cichlid forum. you might benefit more by making direct inquires in there.
i have 2 PAIRS of angels, but 4 is too many for my tank. ;)

Ok,

I've been to LFS and have bought 5 Peppered Corys and 5 Cardinals. Everybody seems to have settled in ok but I'll wait to see if GSL starts on any of the other fish.

(LFS said that the GLS shouldn't bother the school of corys......we'll see)

Most reactions

Back