Sophos9 - Planted Tank Journal

sophos9

Fish Geek
Reaction score
So... the time has come for me to sort out a new tank and I've been getting lots of ideas from reading peoples posts

The Setup
- Juwel Vision 180 (Rocket Trading)
- Eheim Professional 2224 (1stforaquatics)
- Eheim Compact Powerhead 300 (swelluk)
- Juwel 200w heater (standard kit)
- Juwel rock backing (Rocket Trading)

Lighting
- Standard lighting - want to add 2 x 38w Interpret Daylight
- Juwel reflectors (LFS)
- Cold cathode moonlights (ebay)

Substrate (Thanks Jamie!)
- Tetraplan complete substrate 2.8kg (ebay)
- API pure laterite 1560g (Aqua essentials)
- JBL Floropol 600g (Aqua essentials)
- Silver sand (Pets@home)
- Silica grit (Pets@home)

Other Kit
A Hagan Natural Co2 system (ebay)
Sera Live Co2 Test (ebay)

Plants
Front
- Riccia
- E Tenellus

Mid
- Crypts
- Valis
- Osiris

Back
- Hygrophila

Stock
- 2 BN Plecs
- 1 L260 Queen Arabesque
- 1 Clown Plec
- 6 Clown loaches
- 10 Neon tetras
- 10 Rummy nose tetras

Questions!
  • Ok.... so lighting, what can be done on a Juwel Vision 180, I believe these are only 742mm tubes, I want to aim for about 2.5wpg
  • I want a co2 kit with a solenoid, have been looking at the Deltec (D&D) kit that uses disposable bottles - anyone recommend this (or anything else)
  • Media in the Eheim, whats the best media mix for a planted tank
Thanks for helping! :blink:

The Vision 180 comes with 2x25W bulbs. Im sure you can get an extra 2 in there by using the Hagen Glomat Double Starter 30W and getting 2 new tubes. In total thats 100W over a 40gal giving 2.5WPG. I think...
The D&D kit is good and people have had good experience with JBL kits. I hear that aquamedic do good solenoid.
Best filter mix would be, fine wool, sponge and the hollow ceramic rings.

The Vision 180 comes with 2x25W bulbs. Im sure you can get an extra 2 in there by using the Hagen Glomat Double Starter 30W and getting 2 new tubes. In total thats 100W over a 40gal giving 2.5WPG. I think...
The D&D kit is good and people have had good experience with JBL kits. I hear that aquamedic do good solenoid.
Best filter mix would be, fine wool, sponge and the hollow ceramic rings.

Hi, thanks for the help!

So I should end up with 4 x 25w, I think there may be room but am not totally sure about how much room is at the front... tank should be delivered on Friday so will see then, any spec on tubes?

The D&D comes with solenoid so not bad for the price, just not sure on 2 x Hagan kits and how sustainable they will be (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Great, the filter comes with media so I guess I will have to see then adjust accordingly.

As things start to come I'll post pix of how things are going!

After doing loads of digging, I'm 90% sure I will go for a Deltec CO2 system (just found 1000g disposables at £8ish)

What would be the most officiant way of getting CO2 into the water? Was thinking about using the Hagan ladder but really want something that goes into the Eheim inlet... How can this be done please?

Cheers :beer:

3 of the best ways are:

Glass ceramic diffuser,
injecting CO2 into the filter by threading the CO2 tubing into the filter intake (the filter will diffuse the CO2 well into the water)
Using a reactor, inside the aquarium or connected to the filter hoses.

3 of the best ways are:

Glass ceramic diffuser,
injecting CO2 into the filter by threading the CO2 tubing into the filter intake (the filter will diffuse the CO2 well into the water)
Using a reactor, inside the aquarium or connected to the filter hoses.

Thanks for the quick reply... So its as easy as dropping the tube into the plastic intake, simple but effective - I like that!

So I should end up with 4 x 25w, I think there may be room but am not totally sure about how much room is at the front... tank should be delivered on Friday so will see then, any spec on tubes?

As things start to come I'll post pix of how things are going!

I have fitted an Interpet 55W T5 Daylight Plus and Triplus in to the hood of my Juwel Lido, powered by the Interpet twin start convertagear.

The colour rendition is excellent IMO, and I can recommend them.

Just my quick pennysworth...

For a CO2 reactor I have made up one from a gravel-vac with 2 end caps, one end is connected to the outlet from an external filter and the other is connected to a spray bar that runs along the bottom of the rear of the aquarium. The CO2 enters the chamber by forcing the CO2 tube through a small hole in the side of the "gravel vac".

If I get chance shall try and get a picture of it but it is hiding behind a thick screen of vallis so...

Any way I find this works really well for my needs.

I've also just added a pair of T5 55watt interpet compacts and am impressed with them and like Dave can recomend them.

Great, thanks for all the tips!

How have you positioned the T5's to allow a full light coverage around the tank?

Just some of the stuff that has arrived, still waiting for the good stuff! The Hagan CO2 kit will be sold and a Deltec CO2 system bought!

Juwel.jpg

Well my tank should arrive tomorrow between 9-10. a Juwel with stand in dark wood... Rocket Trading have been spot on with delivery!

Bit hacked about the filter though, supposed to have been here Tuesday and nothing, really wanted it running in my other tank to get the bacteria going :angry:

Oh, ordered the Deltec CO2 last night!!

Exciting times eh. I hope it all works out for you. Perhaps make a journal on here?
Youve got some time before the tank comes so Id advise you to read the pinned articles over and over so you know exactly what to do etc. Good luck! :good:

Hey there....

Yea, fish are gonna love it! I've spent over a week reading up on everything now so feel ready to get into it (and I realise I'm at the beginning of the journey). This forum is so full of people that 'know' it makes learning easy!

I was going to make this thread a journal... Better change the title!!

Thanks for the vote!

wat does the rock 450 do?

start with lots of fast growers so u wnt have problems....like me :crazy:

Most reactions

Back